+ Reply to Thread

Default Sloppy icky brick - need advice

We purchased a 1960's home with a brick fireplace in the den. There was a cabinet to the right side of the fireplace which we decided to remove. Well, you know that things never go as planned...the side of the fireplace, it looks like a blind person just slapped on the mortar and stuck whatever brick pieces they had handy.

Now I'm faced with having to repair something I hadn't planned on facing. The guy I have doing all the work in my home took out the garbage brick, and now, I need to find replacement brick.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what type of brick this is called, and if anyone has any tips if you've ever had to do this type of repair before?

Default Re: Sloppy icky brick - need advice

Here's a picture of the problem at hand.
    Last edited by Eldemila; 04-12-2011 at 10:13 PM.

You'll do best locating the brick by taking pictures and samples to the local brick yards.

Why was the brick removed? The extra mortar could have been chiseled off...

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    You'll do best locating the brick by taking pictures and samples to the local brick yards.

Why was the brick removed? The extra mortar could have been chiseled off...

There was no way to chip out the mortar the way it was and have it look anything close to normal/decent. It was a big sloppy mess with pieces of brick thrown in there, bulging bricks, it was just a big mess.

Found the brick - at 35 cents a piece it was a steal. The guy doing all the work in my home replaced the brick. It's now drying. He did a fabulous job!!!

Thank goodness this mess is over!!!

I have the same problem. Was it a lot of money to have repaired? I am in fear of that!