+ Reply to Thread

Default lights on load side of gfci

i renovated my bathroom.

can i run 4 cans w/ 45 watt bulbs, a vanity bar w/ 2 45watt bulbs and a fan off the load side of the gfci if it is a dedicated 20 amp circuit for that bathroom only

Default Re: lights on load side of gfci

Yes,you can.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: lights on load side of gfci

Quote Originally Posted by kenzen View Post
    i renovated my bathroom.

can i run 4 cans w/ 45 watt bulbs, a vanity bar w/ 2 45watt bulbs and a fan off the load side of the gfci if it is a dedicated 20 amp circuit for that bathroom only
    Let's do some math -- assuming you have 120 volt AC ...........

where:

W = watt
    V = volt
    I = current ( amp )

based on Ohm's law W = V x I we can then use W/V = I .......

45 /120 = 0.375 amp ( 375 Milliamps ) -- each lamp

0.375 x 6 = 2.25 amps draw with all lights on

There's no mention of the specification of the fan , so let's use a number for the fan -- 35 watt

35/120 = 0.292 amp ( 292 Milliamps )

So , with all lights on and the fan running a total of 2.25 + 0.292 = 2.542 amps is drawn on the circuit.

You also have to consider some device plugged into the GFCI receptacle like a good sized hair dryer which can have a rating of 1200 watts.

1200/120 = 10 amps

Now, with all the lights on -- the fan running -- the hair dryer being used ......
    2.25 + 0.292 + 10 = 12.542 amps is drawn on the 20 amp supplied circuit.

Like Jack mentioned -- yes you could --- though , should you wire the lights to the " load " side of the GFI ?

A strong recommendation is do not have the lights fed off the " load " side of the GFCI receptacle.

Reason being , when GFCI devices " trip " they shutoff any device connected to the receptacle and whatever is wired on the " load " side. GFI 's are known to have " nuisance trips " from things that are motor driven -- like hair dryers and bath room exhaust fans.
    Whether it's a fault or a nuisance trip, the lights will shutoff and can leave you in the dark. Personally, I highly recommend wiring the lights separately , when the GFI does trip you will at least still have lights -- this way you won't be tripping around in the dark.
    Last edited by canuk; 04-13-2011 at 07:22 PM.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush