+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default scaffolding rental- home paint project

I'm having a hard time finding scaffolding rental in CT- Fairfield/Westchester area. Not major scaffolding, just need to paint room with 12 foot ceiling. Thanks!

Default Re: scaffolding rental- home paint project

Most major rental yards have both traditional scaffold and smaller "personal" sized stuff. Home Depot, as much as I hate to recommend them, probably has the smaller scaffold available for rent and/or buy.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Smile Re: scaffolding rental- home paint project

Jen C,

A 12 foot ceiling can actually be handled with a short extension ladder and the use of an extension pole. The extension ladder will allow you to get up to cut in the ceiling line. You will want a "pot hook" to hold your pail as you are up there cutting in. Make sure you pad the top of the ladder so that it does not gouge your drywall.

An alternative is to get hold of two six foot step ladders and use a scaffold board between them. A simple 2x12 can function as a scaffold board (although OSHA might frown on it ). If you are working over carpet, this might be slightly unstable.

Bad idea to use step ladders and a 2 x 12 and no guard rail protection. A fall from 5 feet can seriously injure you or worse. I have lots of professional scaffolding and have used it lots of times and I never cut corners or cheat on the safety aspect. You only get one chance in this life and any cheating on the safety rules can get you seriously injured. Not worth it!
    You can get rolling scaffolds or just use a step ladder properly preferably a 8 foot stepladder for this 12 foot ceiling.

Glad the CaptTCB was not around all those many times when I was 15 or 20 feet in the air walking a foot wide Stinson plank suspended between two ladder jacks on extension ladders! Funny thing, I must have fallen off a plank a hundred times from 2 or 3 feet, but never came near falling off when I was up high, especially when I knew a picket fence was below me!

In all my years of contracting, my only major Workman's Comp claim was when one of my workers tore his achilles tendon stepping off a 7 inch step down in a living room. Curiously, accidents seem to happen when you don't think you are vulnerable, not when you are leery of your precarious position.
    I still have all my digits because I remain afraid of my table saw!

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    I still have all my digits because I remain afraid of my table saw!
    That's a healthy fear to have. I can tell you from experience, the tablesaw ALWAYS wins! Thankfully in my case no real damage was done, but if it weren't for the safety tutelage of veteran woodworker I'd have lost the tip of my finger. Interestingly, what was safe at the high school woodshop was NOT such a safe thing after all.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

same here for the table saw, still have all my digits but a couple close calls. the only blood shed has been from an olfa knife
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Well, I'm almost 70, haven't lost a didget on a table saw or fallen off a walk plank. I wonder if CaptTCP uses scaffolding when roofing a 12/12 pitched roof.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    I wonder if CaptTCP uses scaffolding when roofing a 12/12 pitched roof.

Jack

I've got one of those to do this summer that I'm not looking forward to. Say, if you're not doing anything, why don't you come on over?

Years ago I custom designed a roof ladder for just such things as 12/12 roofs which are too steep to be walkable. I had a welding shop fabricate the ladder out of aluminum stock using 1 1/2 square stock as the rails and 2 inch L stock as the rungs. When in place, the rungs formed a flat step so that I could meerly walk up the roof. The welder asked if I realized that the ladder would end up costing several hundred dollars. I replied by asking if he knew how much it would cost me to fall off a roof!

Yes CaptTCP, I am not completely foolish about what I will climb on.