+ Reply to Thread

Default Paint color conversion

Would like to know what Behr paint color is closest to Ben Moore- Muslin. Thanks!

Default Re: Paint color conversion

Forget about using Behr, it's a low quality, crappy paint. Go with the BM and don't look back.

Behr spatters more and never cures hard, so it scratches and damages easily. I've never had that problem with BM or any other name brand dealer paint.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

JenC,

If you go to Home Depot, they have most of the Benjamin Colors stored in their computer base. If they don't have that particular color, they can scan the color and get a formula from your color Moore's chip.

If you consult this months' Consumers Reports, you will find that Behr's Ultra paint, for the second straight year, was rated best in class, far above Benjamin Moore's Aura at close to $60 per gallon and Sherwin Williams Duration which sells for close to $50per gallon. Behr's Ultra runs between $31 and $36 per gallon, depending on sheen.

This writer spent many years as a painting contractor who used mostly Benjamin Moore's products. Quite frankly, Moores makes very good products and some very mediocre products. Their top of the line is definitely over priced. I personally found BM's quality control to be lacking. The viscosity of paints would vary from batch to batch. Their oil paints would often be lacking in the chemical driers required to give reasonable dry time. I would routinely add japan drier to the paint if I were working late in the afternoon, to assure that it would be dry in the morning. Why did I stay with B.Moore? Because customers want to see the big name national brand! I humored them!

Recently, I have converted over to Behr's Ultra for my personal use and find it to be every bit the equal of Moore's, at a far better price point. I find that most of those who criticize Behr, when questioned, admit that they have not used it in years, or are merely going by anecdotal opinions of others.

Indeed, many years ago I had a customer request that I use Behr. At that time, I too found it lacking certain desirable qualities , such as coverability. But times change and products improve or they die!

The gummy feel or hardness, to which Spruce alludes, is common to all acrylic paints, more so in higher sheens and the very deep colors which have large quantities of colorant in them. For this reason, I encourage customers to avoid acrylic paints for furniture or really fine woodwork. For such purposes, I highly suggest oil or lacquer finishes, although, paint chemistry is constantly getting better and I am sure will eventually duplicate the desireable qualities of oil paint.

JenC,

As a post script, I should give full discloser and reveal that I work in the paint department of The Home Depot. I think I have a unique outlook, having spent a lifetime as a painting contractor and now in retail sales of paint. I pride myself in qiving the customer the best advice I can and steering them to the best product for their needs, even if it results in sending them to the competition. I personally feel that if the customer is treated with honesty and respect, he/she will return for the majority of their painting and household needs. I and Home Depot will then both be more successful. One of my greatest satisfactions is having customers returning and specifically asking for me by name, knowing that they have been given good advice previously.

I work in an independent Paint/Hdwr./Decorating store.

In our tinting software, there's many competitor fandecks. I usually use our scanners, and compare the "library" formula to the scan. I usually go by my scan.
    That's all the competitor "matches" are anyway...!

Given a little time to tweak (if necessary), I'll hit 98% of colors VERY close. Scientifically/optically, there's no such thing as a perfect match, unless you're using the native paints & colorant.

Bottom-line:
    Have your chip scanned, OR just compare with your own 2 eyes!

Faron

I would concur with Faron, the computer "matches" and those formulas already in the computer often have to be tweaked by human eye.

We also maintain a library of most of the major manufacturer's fan decks from which we can scan or compare to our computer formulas.

I also have the same experience as Faron, the computer scan matches often are better then the matches that are stored in the computer.

Either way, it is a fantastic technology that saves hugh amounts of time. I was trained to mix colors from scratch back in the days when a paint store only had a few dozen stock colors. The computer gets you into the ballpark much faster than starting from scratch and produces a formula which can be readily reproduced. Back in those good old days, you always made sure you mixed more than enough paint for the job, because if you ran out, it cost you dearly in time to re-mix and re-match the paint!

Thank you all! Very helpful and much appreciated.