+ Reply to Thread

Question Rewire 110V miter saw to 240V

I have a shop that is wired for 240V. I want to buy a miter saw, but the only ones I see are sold from international sites. Can a miter saw be rewired to 240V. The saw I like is the Makita 10" Dual Slide Compound Miter Saw with Laser, LS1016LX.

Thanks,
    James

Default Re: Rewire 110V miter saw to 240V

Why not wire up some 110/120 volt circuits ? I'm sure there will be other common 110/120 volt power tools or electrical devices that may/could be also used.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Call Makita direct have them ship one to you.

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/makita-ls1...ser-line-p8033
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks for the responses. It is a good option to run another line to the shop. My concern with that is that the saw is 15 amp. I don't know how safe it is to run that hot on a 20 amp circuit.

I checked the link to the UK site where the 240V miter saw is sold, but it has been discontinued. I also called the tech line at Makita but the man I spoke with didn't have any answers.

I guess I still need to know if the saw can be rewired to 240V.

James

Quote Originally Posted by James Morgan View Post
    Thanks for the responses. It is a good option to run another line to the shop. My concern with that is that the saw is 15 amp. I don't know how safe it is to run that hot on a 20 amp circuit.

I checked the link to the UK site where the 240V miter saw is sold, but it has been discontinued. I also called the tech line at Makita but the man I spoke with didn't have any answers.

I guess I still need to know if the saw can be rewired to 240V.

James
    There should be no problem running the 15 amp saw on a 20 amp circuit -- besides the saw won't always be drawing 15 amps.

It's likely more cost effective to just provide a 120 volt circuit than trying to hunt down a 240 volt saw or taking the existing saw motor to a rewinding shop.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

As there are many countries that operate on 240 volt, I am reasonable sure that tools are manufactured to be sold in those countries. Because of manufacturing cost involved in make different models it may be possible that the 120 volt versions can be rewired for either market.

The breaker size is to protect the in-wall wiring and components and has nothing to do with the requirements of the equipment that you plug in. You could plug it into a 100 amp circuit and it will still draw the same current it does plugged into a 15 amp circuit.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb