+ Reply to Thread

Default adjusting a table saw

Hello, everyone.
    I've noticed, in several threads, where someone will say something about "tuning up" or "adjusting" their new saw. It sounds like it's a snap. I've had 2 table saws (my current one is a very old Sears) and they've both had a problem with the blade not being parallel to the blade opening (not perpendicular to the front). With both of these saws, it seems like adjusting the blade involves either standing the saw on it's head or standing me on my head. (Which makes it rather tricky!)
    So, am I missing something, or are some saws easier to adjust than others? I'm looking at buying a new or used saw right now, and I'd like to get one that's more easily adjustable than the ones I've had. (Or I'd like to know what I've done wrong in the past.) So what do I look for that will tell me if a saw is easy to adjust?

Thanks a lot.

Default Re: adjusting a table saw

The old Sears is probably a contractors saw rather than a cabinet saw so the trunnions are not mounted to the top. On those type saws you usually loosen the top and reposition it. There are several sites on line giving a great deal information on this subject. If you buy a new saw the instruction manual that comes with it should give full description of the adjustments.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: adjusting a table saw

Actually my old Sears saw isn't a contractor saw (wish it was) but after looking at how much table saw you can get for $400 or less, I've decided to make the old one last a little longer.
    Thanks for the reply.