+ Reply to Thread

Default Installing fence - how prevent weeds/grass

I'm putting up a fence along the back of our property. I plan on mulching only under the fence and about 6 inches to 1 foot out on either side. I want to prevent anything from growing in this zone and am looking for opinions on what has worked for you? I've heard of salting the area. I know there's landscape fabric, but I want something a little more permanent as it seems most of those dissolve after a couple years. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Default Re: Installing fence - how prevent weeds/grass

It all depends on how 'eco - friendly' you want to be and how much money you want to spend. Your options;

1- An annual chemical application of an herbicide that prevents all plant growth.

2- A strip of concrete all along the area.

Lightbulb Re: Installing fence - how prevent weeds/grass

Shortly after we installed a fence, we were given this recommendation, and unfortunately, it would be easier to do it before than after:

If you get treated wood and dig them into the ground, so they are ground level or slightly above it will keep the weeds from growing through. Treated wood is resistant to rot and wood, but since it would be directly on the ground it would deteriorate a faster than if it wasn't. It should (depending on the amount of moisture you recieve) be a more permanent solution than landscaping fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestWindow View Post
    Shortly after we installed a fence, we were given this recommendation, and unfortunately, it would be easier to do it before than after:

If you get treated wood and dig them into the ground, so they are ground level or slightly above it will keep the weeds from growing through. Treated wood is resistant to rot and wood, but since it would be directly on the ground it would deteriorate a faster than if it wasn't. It should (depending on the amount of moisture you recieve) be a more permanent solution than landscaping fabric.
    Today's PT lumber is different, just look at the label: it reads "not for ground contact". You stick a post in the dirt, you'll be there replacing it in no time.

I put posts in 2 ft of concrete, or attach them to a simpson anchor in concrete.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Today's PT lumber is different, just look at the label: it reads "not for ground contact". You stick a post in the dirt, you'll be there replacing it in no time.

I put posts in 2 ft of concrete, or attach them to a simpson anchor in concrete.
    You can find PT that is rated for ground contact, mostly in posts. I put posts directly in the ground and have not had any trouble with them.

You can use any of several methods. Periodic applications of herbicides will work, but tend to look messy. Weeds, dead or alive, are not easy on the eyes. You can use PT treated lumber if it is treated for ground contact. You can also dig a 2-4" deep trench and fill it with concrete.

But the simplest thing is to leave a gap between the ground and the bottom of the fence. 2" is about right. Then you can run a string trimmer under the fence in this gap and keep everything nice and neat.