+ Reply to Thread

Default Painting cedar shakes

I have a colonial house with 90% of the siding made of cedar shakes. The shakes were painted years ago and is now pealing badly in places. Would I be better off scrapping all the paint off and not paint them again or scapping only the really loose paint and painting again. The house is on Cape Cod not far from the ocean so painting probably won't last long. Also, what is the best way to sc**** the old paint off?

Default Re: Painting cedar shakes

if they are grooved shakes a wire brush is best suited for this. otherwise if they are smooth just pick up a sc****r and a spare blade and a file to sharpen it.

one thing to take into serious consideration is if there is lead in the paint. there are serious regulations pertaining to lead ebatement. i would take a piece of the paint that is peeling and put it into a ziploc bag then go to a local environmental testing firm. they can tell you if there is lead in the paint
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Default Re: Painting cedar shakes

If you are baring the shingles down to bare wood, you should spot prime those areas to prevent tannic acid bleedthrough. Traditionally, an oil primer wood be used for this purpose. In recent years, there are acrylic based primers that stop the reddish/yellow acid bleed through. If using the acrylic primers, they suggest you wait at least 12 hours until the primer has somewhat cured, not just dried.

For a finish coat, I would use an acrylic solid hide stain. Acrylic stains are much more color fast than oil stains. They also make less paint build-up than a full bodied paint.

I am not sure to what extent a homeowner is responsible for lead contamination in a do-it-yourself situation. A contractor is big time liable for removal in an inappropriate way.

I am somewhat scepticle about the whole lead removal thing. It is the latest cause du Jour of the EPA. I am old enough to have put lots of white and gray lead on and have taken a lot of it off. I don't disregard the potential for lead poisoning, but as usual, the whole thing has been over done.

Were I removing lead where young kids were present, I certainly would go to considerable efforts to control the dust or fumes. Of course, I would protect myself also.

In any event, I am happy that I am no longer actively contracting as the new rules are a considerable pain in the rear!