+ Reply to Thread

Default refreshing stone exterior

I recently bought a 1907 craftsman bungalow in the northeast. The exterior appears to be made of smooth stone over some sort of gravel/pebble filler. They almost look like concrete blocks from the street. The whole exterior is marked up with various stains and pencil marks. I think the previous owners also tried to DIY stain the mortar, and it looks kind of sloppy.

I'd like to refresh the exterior and add some curb appeal. My questions are:

1) What type of facade/exterior is this type of home construction called?

2) Is it possible for me to clean and refresh the stone? If so, how?

Thank you!

Default Re: refreshing stone exterior

Nodito,

I would get hold of a power washer and give a general cleaning of the stone. As a cleaner, try Behr's 2 and 1 Deck Cleaner. It is actually an effective masonry cleaner. Basically, it is oxylic acid with the addition of enzymes. You can use a garden sprayer to apply the cleaner, starting from the bottom and working upward. Keep the stone wet for several minutes and then follow with a vigorous, systematic rinse.

I use the Behr's Cleaner to periodically clean my exposed aggregate driveway and patios. They comes out like new! Behr's is only sold at Home Depot in the Paint Department.