+ Reply to Thread

Question New wall on concrete

I was wondering if there is any type of moisture barrier I can lay on concrete before building an exterior wall on top of it to prevent water damage rotting the wood or would it be simpler to use pressure treated lumber against the concrete?

Wink Re: New wall on concrete

If you don't have a leak I would use dry-loc cement paint first (it gets into the pores and seals the walls). Then use 4 mil. plastic then the wall. This should keep it nice and dry. Hope this helps.

Calcats

Default Re: New wall on concrete

Quote Originally Posted by BillFunderburgh View Post
    I was wondering if there is any type of moisture barrier I can lay on concrete before building an exterior wall on top of it to prevent water damage rotting the wood or would it be simpler to use pressure treated lumber against the concrete?
    PT lumber can be used if it's allowed for interor use .... however ... I like to use sill seal gasket that's commonly available or in some jurisdictions 6 mil visquine ( vapor barrier ) or ice and water membrane can be used ... Basically anything that acts as an isolation barrier between the wood and concrete.

Hope this helps.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

in mass, it's code to use PT where ever wood comes in contact with cement. i don't know where you live, but that's good advise.

Definitely use PT lumber. If the conditions of your cement allow for pooling of water or back splash (rain splashing up on the wood stud wall) then I suggest you do not build the wall on a broad flat surface of concrete as such. This would occur at a concrete patio area or driveway. It is best to build a stud wall on a curb... 6 inches tall by 6 inches wide would do. Then you can wrap your air/vapor barrier around the curb and assure that your wood will not be exposed to moisture. If the base of your wall will be under the edge of a roof without a gutter, then I suggest a height of 12 inches for the wall, to prevent exposure to back splash from the rain pouring off the roof. The same would apply if you live in a moderate to heavy rainy climate or if you expect to get more than 12 inches of snow at any point in time. Check out ThinkDwell Blog for good green design and building advice.