+ Reply to Thread

Default Electrical Panel

I have heard there may be a tool to locate the breaker for a circuit that is unmarked. I am doing some volunteer work at a church and there are several breaker panels. The circuit that I need to shut down for changing out a light switch is not close by, and the panels in an area close to the switch don't indicate that circuit.

Default Re: Electrical Panel

Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I didn't know that device existed. Sure would be easier than yelling "is it off yet?" At the top of you lungs.
    What do you do it the appliance is hard wired? Maybe fashion some insulated alligator clips?

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    I have this tool. It is useful, but it is not foolproof. Follow the directions carefully.

After deenergizing a circuit, ALWAYS verify it with a meter or test light to make sure. But first test your tester on a known working circuit. If your tester says the circuit is dead but it's really your tester that's dead, you could end up dead.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

1- Plug a radio into the circuit to be tested.
    2- Turn the radio on REAL LOUD
    3- Flip breakers until the radio stops working.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    My trick too. For lights I do the same using one of those old-fashioned adapters that adds a plug receptacle to a light. Just to be sure the radio didn't die instead of the circuit, flip the breaker on, listen, and off again- foolproof and needs only one person.

Phil

I actually like to run from the panel to the work area - good exercise.

BTW, it's always the last breaker...next time, start checking from the bottom.

Thanks for the info, I ordered the Klein Tool and will try it out next week

Then go reset all the clocks that are now flashing 12:00

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post

Lots of good suggestions and I've used most of them.

I put together a box I hook on a breaker terminal. It turns the power on and off at 4 sec intervals.

In a commercial building or a church, I walk around and record what lights and receptacles are affected, place a label on the switches and receptacles, naming the panel/breaker, and verify that the panel directory is correct.

During an event such as a dinner a tripped breaker can create a tremendous problem. If the receptacle is labeled which breaker it's on maybe folks won't plug all the hotplates and coffee pots into the same circuit.

A lot of 20A breakers will supply 29A for a time, then trip when you really need it.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content