Default Replacement Windows Advice

I have 35 windows to replace in my 100 year two-floor house. I recently got three estimates: 1) the Thermastar Pella, double-hung vinyl from Lowe's, but they feel cheap at the store. 2) Home Depot offered a cheap American Craftsmen, but my searches have turned up some horror reviews on this make. 3) I am currently considering Pella's Encompass line, ordered directly from the manufacturer. Does anyone have any reviews about the Pella Encompass line, or other suggestions on good windows to consider? Thanks!

Default Re: Replacement Windows Advice

Howdy ask what the al# is hopefully .1 this is the air infiltration #. I put some pells in reciently and was unpresently suprised the screens are sold seperatly and are $$$

Which Pella line did you choose? The consultant said full window screens are included in the Encompass line (vinyl). Have you had any problems other than that, drafts, ect?
    Any other suggestions beyond pella? I'm finding that a lot of people found installation to be their downfall in window replacement, even though windows like Simonton (reflections 5500), and polaris (good air infiltration number) might be ok? I am a contractor so I will take care of my personal installation, I'm just concerned about window quality.

Howdy zspan, good to know yours come with screens. I am 1600 miles away from the windows for the winter so i cannot tell you which ones - sorry. If you search the windows on the manufactures web pages you will find numerous ratings in additional to the AL and the few printed on the window . Consider spending an hour at the ratings page a see all of the information that is available then make your choice. Be sure and read the manufacturers info on what voids their warranties- like spray foam insulation etc. Get em before end of year so the $1500 tax rebate helps offset the $$.

where are you located?

first off i would avoid buying windows through a big box, not only are they going to be marked up in price but the quality will also go down with my experience with them. ive installed windows that came from home depot twice and they were complete junk. your better off going to a window supplier, they will also have install crews.

in regards to air infiltration. if your going with inserts your unlikely to solve all the air leakage problems. to better correct the problem you will need to go with a new construction window to get a proper seal on the window. make sure spray foam is used but the low expansion foam only, high expansion foam buckles the frames and makes them so they dont operate. when using hte low expansion foam only use a small amount at a time, let the foam expand fully before continuing to fill the space
    fire up the saw and make some dust