+ Reply to Thread

Default Brown Dead Grass? Help! Picture Included.

Please help! I have no idea why my grass looks like this... it also has spots in the front that look just the same? I bought the house late last summer and didn't do anything to yard. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

_https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_tcCS2TLplvY/TaClV_YnadI/AAAAAAAAABY/nREjTkU9E3s/s912/IMG_0828.JPG

Default Re: Brown Dead Grass? Help! Picture Included.

Take some soil samples to your extension agency for advice.

There are a few different things it could be. Perhaps the soil is so hard that water can't penetrate (aeration and soil amendment may help). Maybe there's a chemical imbalance -- too acid or alkaline. Or maybe you've got insect damage. Did you have a lot craneflies last summer? Their larvae will damage the grass in the spring.

Those are the things I can think of right now.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Default Re: Brown Dead Grass? Help! Picture Included.

If you wanted to check for grubs use your shovel and lift about a one foot section, if it's grubs you'll see them, try a couple different places. Good Luck