I was wondering if I could some help on properly ventilating a bungalow attic. We have a 1100 square foot, 1.5 story south east Michigan bungalow. The 1.5 story has the typical bungalow knee walls in the upstairs bedroom. Right now, there are fiberglass bats in the floor of the attic and in the ceiling of the bedroom. In order to help insulate the upstairs I added pink board (1") to the knee walls in the attic portion. While doing this, I noticed that someone had taken fiberglass insulation and stuffed in the 8" by 16" portion between the ceiling and the roof at the knee wall junction - blocking ventilation from the lower attic to the upper. Now there are 6 can vents on the south side of the house, 3 on the bottom and 3 near the roof line with none on the north side of the house. There are also 2 side gable vents. Now, my confusion and question is...they didn't stuff any insulation in the rafter knee wall area near the can vents. So the attic will ventilate from the lower to the upper in only those three areas - right at the can vents.

Could this have been so that the can vents had a direct path from the bottom ones to the roof? ie Direct path from the lower to the upper. Or would it be better to open up the area along the entire length of the knee wall? One other concern I had, could the gable vents be short circuiting the the lower can vents?

Thank you for any insight you could provide!