+ Reply to Thread

Default Old Harden Fire Extinguisher

Can anyone give me some information about this Fire Extinguisher made by Harden Grenade Co. Chicago. I have searched the internet and haven't been able to find anything about this. This one appears to be copper and has rivets. Year made etc.
    Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0006.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	6.6 KB 
ID:	2302  

Default Re: Old Harden Fire Extinguisher

Many old fire extinguishers used carbon tetrachloride (CCL4) as an agent. I can only speculate about yours, but it likely does, too. CCL4 is no longer used commercially, as it negatively affects the nervous system and may cause cancer.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Exclamation Re: Old Harden Fire Extinguisher

Not to mention Carbon Tet also degrades when exposed to high heat (i.e. fire) and produces phosgene gas. This was one of the gases used in WWI...
    One cannot have a battle of wits with an unarmed manHidden Content

Default Re: Old Harden Fire Extinguisher

Thanks for the information. I haven't been able to get anything information on the internet about the year that this was manufactured and the value now. It seems like this particular fire extinguisher has never existed. I have several other models from other manufactures and I can find everything about them on the internet but not this one.

Every reference to Harden Grenade Company only tells about the glass fire extinguishers and nothing about this model.
    Thanks for any information you can give.
    Tom