+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Concerned Mom has Drywall Q's

Hi Everyone,
    Our condo (rental) has moderate water damage from the ice dams this winter. I've already done the "mold freak out" with management, long story, but I feel that they really dropped the ball in terms of letting a small issue become a giant, multi-faceted issue. Because of this whole mess, we're leaving as soon as our lease is up in November, but in the mean time: Contractors will be coming in to give me an idea of what kind of work will be done. They've already indicated that many sections of drywall will need to come out. My question to those of you who are familiar with this kind of work, should I stay in the house while the repairs are being done, or should I stay at a hotel? My husband has minor asthma, and I have a 3 yr daughter. I'm concerned about the dust. The areas affected are throughout the house, so I'm not sure plastic sheeting will be possible. There's damage to the ceiling in the entryway (which is also where the stais leading upstairs are), there's significant damage to the wall in my bedroom, and there's significant damage to the guest room wall. The kitchen ceiling has also been affected (due to the water damage above in the guest room). What would you do? Initially, I contacted the health department because I just wanted to get out of here, the leaking (and anxiety about the possibility of mold) was just not something I wanted to worry about, especially since we had just moved cross country. Unfortunately, the laws are on the side of the landlord, and I don't want to waste my energy on a legal battle, when I need all the energy I can muster for my daughter. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. In terms of our presence in the house, I'm home with my daughter during the day, and she needs to nap for about 2 hrs or she starts to resemble a drunk, angry midget. (sorry, that's really the most accurate way to describe her
    Sorry to be so wordy

Default Re: Concerned Mom has Drywall Q's

Is there any way you can get the landlord to put you in a vacant unit temporarily at no extra charge until yours is repaired? Maybe a "friendly" letter from your lawyer? At $60-100/day, a hotel is going to get expensive really fast.

I don't recommend staying. Most of the dust will be from demolition, which will take less than a day, but you'll have contractors coming in and out, getting in your way, and you'll be getting in their way.

A good contractor should be able to do these repairs in a week or so, depending on whether or not the structure is still wet and needs to be dried out.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.