+ Reply to Thread

Default "ventilation closet" ??

While vacationing on Maui HI, we visted the Bailey House Museum (ca. 1830s), and noticed an interesting feature: a "ventilation closet" located in an upstairs bedroom. Apparently, to take advantage of constant breezes in the islands, one would open up this small door, allowing air to be forced/drawn into the room. I couldn't see, but I assume that the closet opening was connected to some exterior louvres/vents, by means of some kind of ductwork built into the walls? Can anyone provide more background or information on this idea?? tks
    Last edited by HowellJohn1950; 04-06-2011 at 07:15 PM.

Default Re: "ventilation closet" ??

Think of it as a solar chimney using the natural effect of hot air rises. The close likely a vent to thew attic / roof or top of a outside wall. A non mechanical system- Now homes have whole house attic vents that draw cooler air in from the lower levels of the home and push hot air out the attic..
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

Default Re: "ventilation closet" ??

But, does anyone have any 'history' for this idea ( ventilation closet ) ever being used in the States? Any basis for it in construction? Is it a proven idea for passive cooling? Has it been used at all since the 18th Century? tks