+ Reply to Thread

Default Bathroom remodel - 2x3 Walls!?!

Here's the short version of the remodel. I decided to replace my toilet. After removing the old toilet I noticed that the surrounding tiles were popping up and the sub floor was rotten. This made us decide to take on a full renovation. Now the bathroon is completely stripped to studs and only 1x12's covering the floor joists.

Here is where I need help!

All of the interior and exterior walls were made of 2x3's. The walls had two layers of drywall on them. The first layer consisted of 12" wide sheets that were layed horizontally. They then had a layer of mud over them. The outside layer seemed to be regular drywall over the whole thing.
    My problem is that these two layers of drywall seemed to make the walls think enought to match up with the trim, doors and window. Can I get away with regular Hardy Board and drywall, or will I have to extend the studs with a strip piece all around?

I also don't know if the 2x3 walls give me enought depth for insulation that is up to code.

Any advice, please! Thanks, J

Default Re: Bathroom remodel - 2x3 Walls!?!

J,

First a little history; When drywall was invented plasterers still ruled the earth, and drywall was made in those horizontal strips you see. As sort of a transition from all plaster to all drywall, people did stuff like what you have.

Optimal would be to tear it down to the studs, add sister studs to the normal 2x4 thickness, correct any electrical, insulation and plumbing issues, then close the walls with drywall. Getting everything to match back to an acceptable depth.

The floor is another issue. The planks are not suitable for tiling. You'd fare very well if you take this project over to the John Bridge Tile forum to use the deflecto-meter to be sure your floor is capable of being tiled. If not, find out what can be done. There are a number of well versed experts on that site (like my humble self) who know much more than tile work to carry you through this project.

What is the scope of this project? How big is the space? What kind of tiles did you have in mind? Where are you located?