+ Reply to Thread

Default 200 Year old Barn siding used for Kitchen Cabs

I am using 200 year old barn wood as panels in cherry frames for kitchen cabinets. The grain is raised and weathered, and I do not wish to sand off the 200 year old patina nor do I wish the grain to catch clothing and food. I am considering a natural color wax. I also do not wish to make it shinny. What do you think? Thank You, Mark

Default Re: 200 Year old Barn siding used for Kitchen Cabs

First treat the wood, you don't want any uninvited guests in the house.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Hey Mark,

That sounds awesome! Where did you get the wood from, your barn? I would test a couple of scrap pieces of the old wood with different products. I would try lightly sanding a few pieces ( I know you don't want to ruin the look, but it might not) and putting a low gloss poly over it. Try not sanding and just adding mineral oil or wax on it to see how that works. The problem with the wax and oil is that it will need to be refinished almost every year if not more. The original paint on the old barn siding might be led paint. It might be a good idea to get that off before you have it encasing all your dishes and food.-Gregg

Instead of sanding, try lightly wire brushing it.

Jack

Testing a few different methods as suggested is a good idea.
    I would try a scotch pad to knock of the splinters or rough spots.
    Linseed oil might protect it, but is likely to darken the wood.
    Shellac could also work if thinned and applied lightly just to seal the wood.
    It sounds like an interesting project. I would like to hear and see how it works out.

I have tried shellac only so far. It does not come close to covering the height of the grain. The next test will be wax over shellac. As for bugs in the wood - a good suggestion - I sent it to a kiln for 12 hours at 200 degrees. The paint is all gone. This barn was not painted for the last couple decades. It was a large barn (120 x 35 and three stories) on farmland I own in Orange County NY. Not enough to rebuild so we took it apart piece by piece to reuse for interior renovations. The wood is soft enough for the wire brush to leave marks quickly. At this point I will try 300 grit sand paper or scothbrite after the shellac, then Wax layers. I am considering:

Renaissance Wax (in a 1/2 lb. 200ml can) also comes from England. It has a fine medium lustre, drys virtually instantly and will never show finger marks. For a wax, it is extremely moisture resistant, and is glass-clear and pH neutral - which is why it is the standard at the British Museum for a wide variety of historic items, not just wood. Its main ingredient as a base is a petroleum-based microcrystalline wax. Use sparingly.

And:

H Behlen Bros is the USA's most prestigious maker of professional furniture finishing supplies. Blue Label Wax (1 lb. can) has long set the standard in professional woodworking. It features a blend of hard carnuba, softer beeswax and carefully selected solvents for ease of working.

I tried to add pictures for you but they are on this host computer not a URL. If there is a way let me know. Thanks For all your suggestions to date. Mark

I have tried to upload a jpeg file as small as 8k and the system will not allow it.

Mark, if you e-mail the oicture to me I will post it for you, put "200 Year old Barn siding " in the subject line of the e-mail

Jack