+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to keep a cooler attic?

I'm hoping this is the right place for this question.

I have a 2 story brick four square. I have an attic window on the west side and east side of the house, so it's just letting the hot sun pour in all day long. I am looking for ways to help keep the attic cooler so that the rest of the house is cooler. Currently, there is nothing on the windows themselves, they are just wide open.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Rob

Default Re: How to keep a cooler attic?

Put a reversible window fan in one of the windows blowing out during the time the sun is on that side and in during the rest of the time. Or put a fan in each window controlled by timers. Run the one on the west side in the morning and the one on the east side during the afternoon.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I was thinking of a fan in the window, but I think I would only do that in the back since I would like to keep some sort of curb appeal going. Not thinking of a way to make a fan look pretty in a window. Plus I would have to rig something up or put it on a timer or something since my attic is only accessible through a closet.

Would throwing up some blinds of some sort really help much? Do they make a film you can but on the windows to cut down on the brightness and would that be helpful at all?

Blinds or film would help but not much. Most of the heat in an attic is heat rising from inside the house and heat created by the sun beating down on the roof.

You might want to consider roof vents with solar operated fans.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Put a reversible window fan in one of the windows blowing out during the time the sun is on that side and in during the rest of the time. Or put a fan in each window controlled by timers. Run the one on the west side in the morning and the one on the east side during the afternoon.
    Jack
    I agree with this.I think this situation is perfect.In addition to your feeling warm, your central air conditioner is running overtime to remove this excess radiant heat coming down through the ceiling from a hot attic.

I agree with Jack. Using solar power would be more sustainable and, in time, a cost saving. Also, if they were wired up correctly, you wouldn't need a timer because they would only operate when the sun was hot enough. Some would sugggest using a HVAC system but this would probably be too costly.

Best HVAC Systems

Blinds or tinted shading will certainly help by reflecting the sunlight, and maintain curb appeal.

However, the attic will still be hot due to the heat transfer when the sun shines on the roof, especially a dark colored roof. The actual amount of heat from the attic windows is only a fraction of what the hot roof adds to the attic heat.

What is the R-value of your attic insulation? If you can get it up to around R-38, you will cut down the heat transfer into the living space--about 1-1/2 BTU's per sq. ft per hour, which probably means about 1000-1500 BTU's per hour for your house. This is small when you compare it to the fact that 2 or 3 people add that much cooling load to a house.

Also, you will benefit a lot by sealing any air leaks thru the ceiling into the attic. This is cheap to do, but sometimes difficult to crawl thru the attic finding and sealing them--the worst offenders are holes thru the wall plates where pipes, wires, etc. pass thru into the attic space.

The suggestions you have received about exhausting the hot air may be the simplest to do at this point, but fans need regular inspection and eventual repair/replacement, so consider where your money will best be spent in the long term.

We usually take out the most inconspicous attic window & put in a stainless steel adjustable louver with a whole house fan or high power exhaust fan.

The opposite side window can have a fixed wood/metal or stainless adjustable louver as well.

In the passive mode, the fan is not run at all--the openings in the louvers permit plenty of air to pass in & out of the attic & yet prevent any rain from entering.

The louvers are loosely closed in winter to prevent any snow from entering.

A two or 3-way switch is brought down to an exterior wall below the exhaust fan for occupant control of a two-speed or 3-speed unit.

On most days, the AC is not needed, as the fan size is enough to cool the living space as well as cool the attic.

Grainger (below) has ****** list of everything you need at a good price, but you will have to buy it on behalf of a local company that is on their account list (most of their stores don't otherwise sell to homeowners).

http://www.grainger.com
    Last edited by Dobbs; 05-27-2010 at 01:18 PM.

I think this situation to feel your warm perfect.In Also, your central air conditioner is running overtime with a hot attic through the roof coming down the additional radiant heat away .

Howdy, consider installing ATTIC FOIL -attic foil.com it cooled mine nicely just laid it on top of the insulation. it only took a few minutes and is so cheap $.12 per square foot.
    Here is a bigee how much insulation is in your attic? Consider having cellulose blown in_ it doesn't let air pass threw it so a great benefit over using fiberglass- adding insulation is very in expensive and will keep the rest of the house cooler in summer and warmer in winter R60 would be a great goal.
    Another idea is a solar attic fan to exhaust out the hot air....