+ Reply to Thread

Default Building a deck??

Hello,
    I would like to add another deck on the rear of my house, i though about attaching it to the house but have a few extrusions and intrusions that come in and out from the house through the rim board. (Main electrical wire, Phone line, cable line, Dryer vent, and the intake and exhaust for the furnace.) I though about making a the deck not attached to the house by having two beams running parallel to the house (free floating deck). Is there anyway to actually attach it to the house without interferring with all the instrusions and extrusions?

Thank you for the help!

Default Re: Building a deck??

pretty easily actually, you simply piece in the ledger and notch it, you need have a level line marked on the house first then install sections of ledger to it. the other option is to omit a small section of ledger and double the joist where teh break is and header off between the joists so you can continue the 16" o.c layout
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    pretty easily actually, you simply piece in the ledger and notch it, you need have a level line marked on the house first then install sections of ledger to it. the other option is to omit a small section of ledger and double the joist where teh break is and header off between the joists so you can continue the 16" o.c layout
    I was thinking of that after i wrote this. Just not sure what would be the easiest way. If i attach it to the house i will need to remove some siding (just newely installed) and add the flashing and such. Are there any cons not having it attached to the house? I will be digging down 4'-0" to get below the frost line, sincei do live in NY state.

When I lived in PA, we built our decks free standing for a few reasons;

1- termites, ants, and other critters would have a much harder time getting to the house if the deck is 2 inches away
    2- water has a harder time migrating from the deck to the house if the deck is 2 inches away
    3- dirt, leaves, ice has a harder time getting to the house if the deck is 2 inches away
    4- air flow. The house and deck can breathe better if the deck is 2 inches away.

Aside from the extra posts, the deck is built identically if it were attached to the house. And you're going to have the post hole driller out there anyway. The added posts can be used for the railing which makes the railing stronger.

At the doorway, make the surface deck boards 1 inch to 1/2" away from the house.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    When I lived in PA, we built our decks free standing for a few reasons;

1- termites, ants, and other critters would have a much harder time getting to the house if the deck is 2 inches away
    2- water has a harder time migrating from the deck to the house if the deck is 2 inches away
    3- dirt, leaves, ice has a harder time getting to the house if the deck is 2 inches away
    4- air flow. The house and deck can breathe better if the deck is 2 inches away.

Aside from the extra posts, the deck is built identically if it were attached to the house. And you're going to have the post hole driller out there anyway. The added posts can be used for the railing which makes the railing stronger.

At the doorway, make the surface deck boards 1 inch to 1/2" away from the house.
    Thanks, i think it may be just easier to make it dettached from the house. There will be no doorway, it is actually joining another deck that wraps around to the side of the house. I will be joining the two decks (only 5'-0) and at the house i will just leave 1" from the siding to the edge of the decking. Thanks for the suggestions and help!

Quote Originally Posted by paintman161 View Post
    Hello,
    I would like to add another deck on the rear of my house, i though about attaching it to the house but have a few extrusions and intrusions that come in and out from the house through the rim board. (Main electrical wire, Phone line, cable line, Dryer vent, and the intake and exhaust for the furnace.) I though about making a the deck not attached to the house by having two beams running parallel to the house (free floating deck). Is there anyway to actually attach it to the house without interferring with all the instrusions and extrusions?
    Thank you for the help!
    Maybe double up the parallel beams attaching them to the house using a "concealed flange"/heavy/duty double bucket joist hanger "stainless steel attaching it to the existing house rim joist.. Then run your joist into the double beams.

http://www.fasteningsystem.com/produ...productid=1882

http://www.qualitydist.net/sst-huc212-2.html

http://www.amazon.com/Simpson-Strong.../dp/B001GIZD34

http://www.strongtie.com/deckcenter/...?source=topnav
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I was looking at the rim board on the house a little closer and all of the extrusions that come in and out of it. Alot of them would be higher than the decking (which kind of sucks) so they will be exposed onto of the decking. So I am going to have to relocated alot of them anyways. (Cable, ground wire, Phone line, dryer vent, Furnace intake and exhaust, power outlet.) I just dont want to destroy the rim board though having to move all this stuff down. Also i am only working with a 2x8 rim board as well.

As for the suggestion above not sure how that would actually work as my beams are running parallel to the hosue and not perpendicular.