+ Reply to Thread

Default Trim reinstallation

A few years ago I did a DIY resto on my 1914 Farm Victorian. I took out the lathe and plaster and replaced with 1/2 or 5/8 (can't remember)sheet rock. When I put the original trim back up, I had a very noticeable gap between the door casing and the dry wall. Or between the casing and the jamb. Unfortunately I left the gap.

Now I'm on to my second house which is 3 times the size of the previously mentioned house and 3 times as much trim; entry way's columns, casings, base, etc... I'm looking at doing a complete gut like before but this time I actually want the trim and dry wall to sit flush with each other so it actually looks professional! What would be the best way to achieve this?

-Randy

Default Re: Trim reinstallation

There are two ways, one is to fur out the drywall the second is to install spacers behind the trim to take up the difference. Furring the drywall will probably be the best, since that way any electrical penetrations won't be out of whack either.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I assume that furring out the dry wall, you would determine the thickness that the jam stick out past 1/2" or 5/8" and cut furring strips to be glued/nailed to the 2x wall studs?

Quote Originally Posted by randytimes View Post
    I assume that furring out the dry wall, you would determine the thickness that the jam stick out past 1/2" or 5/8" and cut furring strips to be glued/nailed to the 2x wall studs?
    That is correct.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

furring out the studs not only makes it so your casing will work. furring the back of hte casing where it meets the drywall looks terrible even when done by a pro. theres a seam between the two.

also you get a little extra space for insulation
    fire up the saw and make some dust