+ Reply to Thread

Default Replacing shower spindle assembly / problems locating main water supply

Here's my original problem: my maximum shower temperature has steadily decreased over several months, such that when the knob is turned all the way to hot only lukewarm water comes out. I did some reading, looked up manufacturer info (Symmons temptrol), and concluded I probably need to clean or replace the spindle or seats that are behind the cap. I bought the parts and am ready to do the job.

Step 1: shut off water supply. Here's my current problem. I can't even begin the repair because I can't find out where or how to shut off my main water supply. I've shut off the hot water, I've played with every valve and knob in my apartment with no luck. I live in a small condo so there's only so many places to look. In the basement, I see the building main supply. I see where it travels up into the ceiling somewhere unknown, and I see pipes on the other side of the building that come out of the ceiling, go into my boiler for forced hot water baseboard heating, and another split into the hot water heater. I've tried messing with every combination of knob there is and all I can manage to do is shut off the hot water.

So the question is two-fold:
    1) is there someplace else I should look that I haven't yet?
    2) is there any way to do this repair if cold water is still flowing to my shower?

Thanks in advance for the help,

Tongpo Wallace

Default Re: Replacing shower spindle assembly / problems locating main water supply

Tongpo,

How old is your building? Where is it located? You may have a shared cold water pipe. Are you billed for water separately? Is there a maintenance person to ask?

Default Re: Replacing shower spindle assembly / problems locating main water supply

Hi - thanks for helping out.

It's in Cambridge, MA and was built in the 1890's. I guess you're right that it's a shared pipe. The condo association is billed for cold water, and individual owners cover hot water separately. No maintenance person, it's a small building with only 6 units...3 floors, 2 units per side.

There was a small yellow handled lever coming off my water heater, and that shut my hot water off. There is a similar but larger lever at the main supply. I guess I turn that one to cut the main cold supply, do the repair, then turn it back on when I'm done and hope not to annoy the neighbors?

Tongpo

If you have to shut water down to the entire building, you'll need to notify everyone in the building of the inconvenience. If you're lucky, they all work, so you could do this during the day while there at work and not annoy anyone.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

check for hot and cold shut offs on the valve behind the face plate,you will need a flat screwdriver to turn them off.