Re: How do I make people aware of CFL Alternatives for the home
While CFLs do contain mercury, it is a miniscule amount. It would take hundreds of CFLs to accumulate the same amount of mercury as found in a typical thermometer.
Also, it's a fallacy that CFLs require a lot of power to start up. While starting does consume more power, it's only equivalent to the power consumed during a few seconds of running time.
FYI, the mercury is necessary in order for a fluorescent light to work. The way a fluorescent light works is that it uses a high voltage to arc from one end to the other to vaporize the mercury. The mercury gas becomes ionized (electrically charged) to produce ultraviolet light, which is turned into white light by the white, phosphor coating on the inside of the tube. If you break a fluorescent lamp while it is operating, colorless mercury gas may escape. The white "smoke" that comes out is simply the harmless phosphor coating.
The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.