+ Reply to Thread

Default Can I chimney vent a power vented oil boiler?

I have a Utica oil burner that has a power vent. The power vent unit is very loud, annoying, and stinks up the back yard with oil burner odor (can't even enjoy sitting on the back deck because the pwr vent is right next to it, stinks!)
    Can I naturally vent the boiler out a chimney?
    Thank you!!

Default Re: Can I chimney vent a power vented oil boiler?

Generally yes, however because high E units do not output sufficient heat and volume to get a proper draft in a large chimney you should extend the PVC all the way up through the chimney.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

It's doubtful that your boiler uses PVC to vent so there should be no problem using a chimney. It sounds like you have no chimney or an existing one was in poor condition and the PV was a less expensive alternative. As long as the chimney meets the boiler mfr's specs and meets code go for it.

Chris,

It goes without saying that you should NOT attempt any repair on your own---you need to get a professional servicepersnon in there to make the needed modifications.

Any issues connected with furnace/boiler venting involve getting dangerous carbon monoxide out of the home, and requires extreme care by experienced, licensed people.

If you don't have a standard chimney now, a double-walled stainless steel one can be put on the roof, along with quieter power vent equipment.
    Last edited by NashuaTech; 04-05-2011 at 03:58 PM.