+ Reply to Thread

Default Can this floor be saved?

The 100 year old heart pine flooring in my house is in rough shape. It has been refinished so many times that the nail heads are sticking up in some places. In some spots, the finish has worn off completely and in other areas long splinters are separating from the boards. The problem is complicated by the fact that there is no subfloor and there's lots of bounce.

We installed re-milled antique heart pine in an addition we put on the house, and it's lovely but it doesn't have the rich patina of the house's original floors. I hate to replace or cover original parts of an old house, but I'm concerned that our floors are beyond redemption. Is there a way to save and stabilize our old floors? Would putting down area rugs help slow their rate of deterioration? (We currently have no rugs and two dogs. Plus four children.)

Thanks for any advice.

Default Re: Can this floor be saved?

You didn't supply enough information, so I don't know if my suggestions will fly. Maybe consider pulling up all the old flooring, trying to salvage every single board, no matter what size. Repair the joist structure and strengthen it. Insulate the floor and add a moisture barrier to the crawl space if there is one. Install a new subfloor/underlayment system that has a combined thickness of at least 1". Install the salvaged flooring. You will not have enough to cover the same area, so pick an area that previously had the heart pine (like an entry area) and install stone or ceramic tile. You can also use the newer heart pine in places like closets where it won't be noticeable.

Just off the top of my head. I've never actually done something like that, but would in the right circumstance.

Jim
    www.aFloorPro.com

Where is this home?

It sounds typical of early 1900's bungalow construction. I live in a 1920 bungalow with the same construction.

Do you have access to the joists from underneath? Can you add additional beams & piers?

It's a vernacular farmhouse in Virginia, and I'm talking about the floors on the first floor. The second floor has an inferior grade of pine for flooring, but it's in better shape because it's less exposed to moisture.

We can access the underside of the floors from the basement. Right now there's fiberglass insulation between the joists. It never occurred to me to rip up the floor and try to salvage some planks.

If I have time later, I'll post an image, but thanks for the input so far.