+ Reply to Thread

Default Installing Base Cabinets over Baseboard heat

Hi, we are remodeling our kitchen and would like to put new base cabinets over the existing hot water, baseboard heat(not forced air). This area of the kitchen has never had cabinets before so I'm not really sure where to start. The stove will be on this wall and I need a place to work when cooking. The baseboard measurements are approx. 8in. high by 2in wide.

I don't really want to modify the cabinets in any way to put it over the baseboard. Just wondering if anyone has any good ideas about installing them so we still get some heat out of the register. I would like to install cabinets on each side of the stove. I was thinking I could somehow install the cabinets so they were out from the register a little. The countertop would be deeper, but that's okay with me. If so, what's the best way to vent the base cabinets so I still get heat and it doesn't build up behind the cabinets?

I was going to add a picture to show you, but since I'm new and haven't posted enough, I can't.

Thanks so much.

Default Re: Installing Base Cabinets over Baseboard heat

Melissa,

Welcome to the forum.

It sounds to me that you want to put base cabinets and a stove where you have existing baseboard (hot water) heat. If this is true, then the baseboard heat has to be removed. You're going to run into a bunch of problems, aside from the fact the baseboard heat would be practically useless anyway, if you went forward with your plan.

Remove the baseboard heat, re-route the pipe and install the cabs and stove as you desire. Be aware you will have the loss of that amount of heat in your kitchen. Will that heat have to be supplemented by another means? Add more baseboard heat someplace else? Under floor heating? Adding a new zone?

listen to houston and take his advice. i highly doubt you will find anyone on here or any other professional to agree with what you want to do. one other option is to install a toe kick heater under one of the cabinets.

Thanks for the advice. I doubt we will be able to take the heating out as it's a continuous loop through the house. However, I will look into that option. We do have heated floors as a supplement and boy oh boy..is that ever nice. We have cement slab floors(no basement) so the floors always got cold in the winter. Not anymore though! Thanks so much for your help.

even if you have a continuous loop, it can still be recessed into the wall where the cabinets are, any plumber can do it in a couple of hours.

MLBSF is correct. The pipe (a plain pipe with no fins) can be routed through the wall at the stove and under the cabinets. Insulate the pipe in the wall.

Why not use a hot water toe kick heater? You can get one with the same BTU rating as the baseboard your removing. I have installed many of these,they work very good. Look towards the bottom of the page.

http://www.ccallis.com/hot_water_bas...ce_heaters.htm

John

Running water pipes -- heating or supply lines --- inside an exterior wall is a bad idea. Too much risk of freezing the lines.

If you use cabinets like this the line can be routed underneath.

Last edited by canuk; 04-04-2011 at 08:46 PM.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Canuk,

That answer depends on geography. Round these parts we have a few total hours of freezing temperatures a year. Of course there are many parts of the planet where it is a first consideration. Don't know why folks would want to live there....

Houston --- true enough and it's something we all need to keep in mind. To put the shoe on the other foot --- not everyone lives in mild climates -- even in the US.

However, whenever the topic of heating systems and we don't always know where folks post from ( such as in the case of the OP ) one tends to think there is a chance of temps dropping down to freezing at some point. Running water lines in an exterior wall when there is a chance of outside temps reaching freezing temps is risky and not a good idea --- let alone hotwater lines than will loose heat.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush