+ Reply to Thread

Question A good wood putty for outdoor use?

I need to patch some holes in clatter and facial boards. Does anyone have recommendations on a good putty for outdoor use?

Mike

Default Re: A good wood putty for outdoor use?

Mobrien,

For years I have used "Bondo" for filling exterior wood pecker holes, fallen out knots, rotted wood etc. Minwax also has a catalized wood filler, but it is considerably more expensive than common Bondo. They both have a strong polyester smell. Bondo is stable, being water impervious. It also dries fast, regardless of depth of the filled hole. It sands reasonably well.

If the wood you are patching is rotted, you will want to remove the rotted fibers. I like to spray straight Clorox onto the area to kill any remaining fungus. Let the Clorox dry and then fill. Minwax does sell a bonding liquid for its product. It supposedly solidifies the fibrous wood.

When patching rough sawn wood, I would surround the hole with masking tape, so as to prevent needless filling of the surrounding textured wood. At the time of the last patch layer, I wood drag a toothed plastic spackle knife over the surface, so as to resemble the surrounding rough sawn texture.

When patching fallen out knots, again I would surround the hole with masking tape. If the hole is of a larger size, I would drive small finishing nails into edges of the hole. This acts as a support to hold the Bondo in the hole.

Bondo does not normally need a primer when painting the finished patch.

www.abatron.com for their wood restoration epoxy system or
    http://www.advancedrepair.com/archit...woodrepair.htm
    for a more costly but easier to use gel epoxy system.
    Either of these is superior to anything from a box store.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Sombreuil, I have never been dissatisfied with the end product of using common Bondo, but I can certainly see some advantages to using the heavier bodied, more moldable product you suggest.

Smile Re: A good wood putty for outdoor use?

Thanks for the info it is greatly appreciated. One more project on the Honey Do list I can move forward with. Now I only need a few days without rain for the wood to dry out.

One Additional questions, if i have a window sill that I see is getting hit with alot of water and does not currently have any wood rot, is there a paint or primer I shoud use that will help prevent wood rot from happening?
    Last edited by mobrien100; 04-06-2011 at 09:49 AM.