+ Reply to Thread

Question Interior Door closes by itself

I have an interior hollow door that won't stay open. This door used to stick and I did sand some edges and applied WD40 to the hinges. To try to fix the closing problem by removing the door, tightening the screws on the hinges both door and jamb, I checked to be sure the door is level both horizontally and vertically and nothing helped.
    I would appreciate some suggestions,
    Thanks

Default Re: Interior Door closes by itself

the only possible reason is that the door jamb is not plumb. a few options are. 1. rehang the door jamb properly. 2. bend 1 or 2 of the hinge pins just a little to add some friction to the hinges which should hold it open. 3. buy a door stop

im guessing the door jamb was set flush to the wall but the wall itself isnt plumb so it leans, thus it opens. why doesnt the latch bolt catch the strike plate
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Something has to be out of plumb for the door to move. Use at least a 4 foot level to check. A 6 footer would be best. One of those old school levels with the vial with the bubble in it. The level app on your cell phone isn't nearly accurate enough for this purpose.

Just sayin...