+ Reply to Thread

Default Can strand mix with solid of same gage in circuit?

I'm putting a new 20 amp circuit in as part of a basement refinish project. I bought roles of 12 gauge black and 12 gauge white wire that looked identical on the shelf. As I started running it through the new conduit I'm putting in, I realized that the white was a lot more flexible. Come to find out, it is stranded while the black is solid.

Does this matter? They are both rated at 600 V - same manufacturer, etc. But the black says "ft-1 approved" and the white (stranded) says "vw-1 approved". I have never heard of these terms.

Since I've already cut into the rolls and probably can't return them I'd like to drive on. They both should carry current fine, and this will not be a heavily loaded circuit. But I just wanted to verify before I get much further on the job. I've been told never to mix gauges within a circuit...would using these together have the same effect?

Thanks!

Default Re: Can strand mix with solid of same gage in circuit?

There is no problem as long as they are the same gauge.
    "Lead by Example"

The stranded wire is normally used for commercial work, where the wires are run through conduit.

Stranded wire usally cost a few bucks more. Its darn sure much easier to pull especially if you working alone. Thats really the only differences between the 2 types.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

About the only thing you can't use stranded wire for is the "backstab" connections on outlets and switches -- the kind of connection where you just jab it in and you're done.

You CAN use the backwire connections IF it is the kind with an internal clamp that tightens with a screw.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

In my fair city using the 'backstab' feature on outlets and switches isn't to code.

Just sayin...

Thanks guys! Appreciate the responses.

Unfortunately, everything here has to be conduit - residential too. I'm getting used to it, but it sure adds time and planning to the job for a non-professional.