+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default beadboard staircase

I enjoyed the article on bead board wainscot and I have done this in my basement and I am now having trouble with the stairs.

The staircase goes down on a 42 degree angle and has 2 small landings that make 45 degree angles in the stair case. I have figured out how to place the chair rail on the outside wall (left side of picture) but the inside (right side of picture) wall is stumping me. I am sure I have to make 2 cuts - one to account for the 42 degrees of the stair case and 45 for the turn of the wall. I believe I have the 45 degree angle of the wall accounted for by cutting at 22.5. It is the continued angle of the stairs / wainscot at 42 degrees that has me stumped. I have tried that angle at 21 and 42 and cant get the wainscot cap to line up. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

.I have tried to add a few pictures and any suggestions on how to do this would be greatly appreciated. The chair rail is

Attached Files Attached Files

Fayette County, Ohio

Default Re: beadboard staircase

I think you will need to cut a small transition piece similar to a return. Cut the 22.5 on one side and the other at 21 so the piece is at a point at the bottom. Glue in place at the 45 corner.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb