+ Reply to Thread

Default Wallpaper Residue Painted Over

My bathroom walls are made of drywall. They were originally wallpapered. After the wallpaper was removed, the walls were painted. However, the glue was not completely removed and formed bumps under the paint. Needless to say, this looks really messy. Is there anything that can be done to smooth the walls before they are painted again.

Default Re: Wallpaper Residue Painted Over

Don't ya hate it when some slob does that! There is no easy solution to the mess they create. If it were me, I would sand the high spots the best I could. I would then prime the entire walls with an oil based primer, this in an effort to keep moisture from reaching the water soluable wallpaper paste still on the wall. I would then skim coat the walls with drywall compound. After sanding with a sanding block, prime with a quality acrylic primer. Your finish coat can also be acrylic, preferably at least a satin sheen in a bath. Better a semi-gloss if the bath is prone to getting really steamed up. An exhaust fan is also always advisable in a bath.

Too many variables to suggest the proper course of action, though my colleague does highlight one good method.

If there is no texture on the wall, then simply sanding and priming will do. If it's textured, then sanding may not work very well, particularly if there's much glue residue that needs to be addressed.

Assuming the worst, the walls should be scrapped to remove any excessively high spots, then floated with drywall topping compound, retextured, primed, and painted. A lot of work, yes, but the results will be pristine walls.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

They are correct, there is no easy way out of this mess.

I'll add one more option;

Paint your walls with a 2 toned rag rolled type paint finish. That hides a multitude of sins OR use some sort of surface applied texture like orange peel or venetian plaster.

Always the troublemaker, eh Houston?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!