+ Reply to Thread

Question White Stuff on Chimney

I have alot of white looking powder on the outside of my flagstone chimney. Most of it starts right where I have a bad ice build up on my eavestrough in the winter. I heard that is dampness in my chimney. There is a small crawl space that runs behind the chimney. I crawled in there last summer and noticed the wood around the chimney is damp. Not sure if rain is getting in or the ice build up is getting in some how. But it is not perfectly dry. And most of the dampness is on the side of the chimney where the stack and ice build up is. How can I correct this. I am very concerned of this turning into a very expensive situation if I dont correct it. I have had it around 3 years and it is getting worse. It also is right where a new electrical stack was put in right up through the roof. Could the electrician maybe have forgotten to insulate something to. That is also where my Hot Water Boiler and HWT are located in the basement. We do not use the fireplace. I stuff the flue area with insulation in the winter to help with drafts. A couple years ago we tried one of those fake logs and all the smoke and a bad chemical smell came into the house. Had to open up every window to clear the air. Trying to give you as much info. as possible. Home is built in late 1940's. thank you Anthony La Monte
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3128.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	2298   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3126.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	2299   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3001.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	2300  
    Last edited by Anthony La Monte; 03-20-2009 at 02:46 PM. Reason: added more info.

Default Re: White Stuff on Chimney

the white stuff is efforflescence (i'm sure i miss spelled that). it's basically the lime wicking it's way out of the chimney. it usually occurs when one side of concrete gets wet (soaked) and the lime seeps out the other side. it can be cleaned with CLR or muriatic acid. the best way to prevent it is to stop the water problem on the inside of the chimney. once that stops, it shouldn't come back. also, after enough time, months or years, all the loose lime will be gone and no more should bleed through. it's not a structural concern but it can loosen the stone on the exterior of the chimney but i wouldn't expect that to happen.

Default Re: White Stuff on Chimney

Quote Originally Posted by MLBSF View Post
    the white stuff is efforflescence (i'm sure i miss spelled that). it's basically the lime wicking it's way out of the chimney. it usually occurs when one side of concrete gets wet (soaked) and the lime seeps out the other side. it can be cleaned with CLR or muriatic acid. the best way to prevent it is to stop the water problem on the inside of the chimney. once that stops, it shouldn't come back. also, after enough time, months or years, all the loose lime will be gone and no more should bleed through. it's not a structural concern but it can loosen the stone on the exterior of the chimney but i wouldn't expect that to happen.
    Thank you for such a quick response. You mentioned that a side of the chimney gets soaked. Could that be the inside of the chimney or do you think it is from that huge ice buildup I get in the winter right beside the white stuff and then it thaws off and on throughout the winter and I do see that the exterior right where the white stuff is does get very wet.