+ Reply to Thread

Question Better pavers for a shady area

I've got a brick patio on a sand base on the north side of my house, and it's constantly growing moss on it, making it slippery and unsafe. I'd like to replace the bricks with something that will be more resistant to moss growth, but I my searching has not presented a product that specifically talks about that.

Does anyone have any ideas or advice to help me focus my search? Any good results with concrete pavers or rubber?

Thanks in advance,
    Will
    Talking about Music is like Dancing about Architecture

Default Re: Better pavers for a shady area

I would suggest something that doesn't hold water. Permeable pavers are readily available.

You may be able to spray the patio down with an herbicide then seal them as well to keep the moss off.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Sealer won't work because the pavers will continue to absorb moisture from below, causing the sealer to fail and look terrible. Mold and algae will then take refuge in the cracks and underneath the sealer where you can't get to it with a pressure washer or any other removal means. My front patio was sealed and is extremely mottled because of it.

The best defense is a pressure washer. I do mine about twice per rainy season. It takes quite a while for the algae to return after being thoroughly washed down. Another method that works, but I don't recommend , if you don't have access to a pressure washer, a mild bleach solution will work. The reason it's not recommended is that you're just adding chemicals to the environment, it's also quite smelly.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

You should try using Permeable paves because they are available now.