+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: copper pipe

Default Re: copper pipe

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Three main things when soldering ( sweating ) copper :

1) clean -- clean -- and clean all the fittings. I like emery cloth to clean the heck out of the exterior of the pipe so it's nice and shinny. For inside fittings there are fine wire brushes used for cleaning those.

2) flux --- make sure to apply a thin coat to the pipe and fittings with flux

3) heat --- have the correct heat applied. If this is your main line there is likely water in the line. You will have a more difficult time to heat the connection enough if you are using a common propane solder flame kit since the water draws the heat away In which case some plumbers will use Mapp gas flame since it burns hotter.

Okay 4 things --- correct solder -- rated for water lines.
    thank you for reply i did all but use map gas 5 conetions were perfect went just like i was shown along time ago and i have praticed before i went at this but the old pipe defise me is their any other connetion type i can use under the slab that will work and not leak.

Is there enough exposed pipe to get the solder to melt? it could be the mass of the concrete is absorbing the heat and the pipe isn't getting hot enough.

Copper isn't supposed to have joints when buried in concrete. If the pipe is of an age where its starting to get pin holes, its time to replace the entire pipe.

Houstonremodeler is correct: 1. you can not have a copper connection under the slab. 2. even if you successfully repair this leak, other leaks, in other areas, will follow.
    You have to repipe the entire house (through the attic).
    The price of copper is going up. The price of water is going up. So repipe ASAP.

A previous poster mentioned using bread to plug the pipe so that you won't get water seeping in to where you're trying to solder.

You should use only pure white bread ("balloon bread"), and not the crust. Ball it up into a nice dense plug and shove it in the pipe. Use a stick or dowel to push it in several inches, one bread plug on each side of the repair.

After the repair, remove the aerators from your faucets and run the faucets. The bread will dissolve and flush out of the pipes.

If you use anything but pure white bread, or if you use the crust, it might plug up a valve or something somewhere along the way.

Don't overheat the pipe. No amount of flux will allow you to solder on burned copper.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

If you go with the *old* bread trick and you have faucets with cartridges -- don't be surprised if they plug up from chunks of that bread when it breaks apart.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I would try to avoid using bread. Like mentioned before, it can clog other components and cause additional work and expense.
    Instead, I would let the water out the lowest point in the house. Sometimes it could be at the water meter.

You could use a sharkbite as a last resort. Something to rember is that the old line probably has a lot of calciam in it so it will take much more heat.

When I was working with an old time plumber, he would "tin" the copper pipe. When I asked him why, he told me in his day , some copper pipe they used was bad and would not take solder. I am wondering if this is the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by johnofgb View Post
    When I was working with an old time plumber, he would "tin" the copper pipe. When I asked him why, he told me in his day , some copper pipe they used was bad and would not take solder. I am wondering if this is the problem?
    Today's lead free (or 97/3) solder contains tin.

To get the copper and fitting to work you need: clean and dry fittings and pipes, enough flux and heat and the right solder. Thats all.

copper under concrete should be brazed using k copper