+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: water level in tolet

Quote Originally Posted by Chief View Post
    I had the same problem with one toilet. I really didn't pay much attention to it for quite a few years. Then we did a major remodel and found that when they built the house they broke the toilet flange. Instead of fixing it right, they bought a mobile home style flange, chiseled off the existing flange, stuck the mobile home flange into the existing pipe and poured glue around the joint.
    Mine Remodeler tells me that the toilet had been sucking air from the makeshift repair which didn't let the bowl water level rise to specs. He also said the toilet could have tipped over at any time. He replaced the entire pipe from the basement to the toilet and now the water level is fine.
    Don't know who your contractor was but that makes aploselty no sense. I have also never seen a mobile home flange in the 50 years I have been in the plumbing business. Don't take this the wrong way the criticism is towards your contractor not you. What some contractors tell their costumers is beyond belief.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    The water level in the bowl cannot be raised. Think of a toilet as a trap. The water in the bowl is the same as the water in the bowl of a trap. You can only fill the trap until the water reaches the height of the opening on the discharge side.
    Tell you what I'll do John, since I've purchased the fast fill assembly from my local Home Depot already (see the non-link above), when I get a round toit and replace the current valve, I'll post how it works. Then we'll see if what you believe from your experience is true or Rich is correct. Maybe his cool magnetic reading glasses weren't working properly during that episode? The valve was only $6.87+tax.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
    Tell you what I'll do John, since I've purchased the fast fill assembly from my local Home Depot already (see the non-link above), when I get a round toit and replace the current valve, I'll post how it works. Then we'll see if what you believe from your experience is true or Rich is correct. Maybe his cool magnetic reading glasses weren't working properly during that episode? The valve was only $6.87+tax.
    Why not post a picture of the mobile home style closet flange. That's one I would like to see.
    John

"Mobil Home Toilet Flange" is just like a regular flange. There are dozens of flanges out there, you need to find the one that's right for your situation.

In the repair described previously by CHIEF, the plumber may have installed an incorrect flange.

Is the fixture made for efficiency? Newer model homes can sometimes be made with "greener" fixtures that use less water/energy etc. Before messing with your plumbing I would check to see that this isn't the case with your toilet.
    Don't kill the dream, execute it.

Retroloco-LJ
    Hidden Content

Default Re: water level in toilet

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    The water level in the bowl cannot be raised. Think of a toilet as a trap. The water in the bowl is the same as the water in the bowl of a trap. You can only fill the trap until the water reaches the height of the opening on the discharge side.
    Don't want it said that I won't admit when I'm wrong. And, you are right. Simple test; pour water into bowl s l o w l y level doesn't change. Maybe Rich explained it more fully to the home owner, but some of it got edited out due to time limit for the video. Good part? Home Depot took the unused flow adjusting fill valve back with full refund.
    Cheers!