+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default water level in tolet

water level in new toilet bowl is low compared to other toilet just installed. Can this be fixed or is it a defect.

Default Re: water level in tolet

All new toilets are 1.6 gal. or less flush. They have a lower water level in the bowl. Look in the tank if the refill tube is in the overflow tube then what you see is what you get. Name brand toilets like Kohler and Toto work quite well, but many of the cheaper ones just don't flush. Same old story you get what you pay for.

John

Water level can be adjusted. You have to be familiar with the type of valve you have in your tank to do it.
    All new tanks are designed for 1.6 gallons or less, as John mentioned, but unfortunately in many cases 1 flushing isn't enough and a 2nd flushing is needed.
    Result: you try to save water and you end up wasting it.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Water level can be adjusted. You have to be familiar with the type of valve you have in your tank to do it.
    All new tanks are designed for 1.6 gallons or less, as John mentioned, but unfortunately in many cases 1 flushing isn't enough and a 2nd flushing is needed.
    Result: you try to save water and you end up wasting it.
    You may be able to adjust the water level in the tank but not in the bowl, which he was questioning.

John

Bowl water isn't adjustable. Tank water is adjustable, but only to a smaller degree on new toilets.

Depending on the specific design of the toilet, most of the water when flushing doesn't go into the bowl, but instead helps form a vacuum to pull the waste away.

Check that the tank-fill hose is in the tube. If not it could prevent the bowk from filling all the way to the trap level, but you can't fill a bowl beyond that line.
    Even two flushes totalling 3.2 gallons is less than a lot of old toilets that could be as much as 5 gallons. The Kohlers and Totos with huge flush valves seem to do a pretty fine job. The pressurized ones work above reproach, but have the gadget factor when repair is needed.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Exclamation Re: water level in tolet

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    Bowl water isn't adjustable. Tank water is adjustable, but only to a smaller degree on new toilets.

Depending on the specific design of the toilet, most of the water when flushing doesn't go into the bowl, but instead helps form a vacuum to pull the waste away.
    Since the above comment was made there has been an episode where Rich Trethewey supplied a homeowner with a new flush valve assembly that allowed both the tank and bowl levels to be adjusted separately. I don't remember the episode and I'm not certain if Rich gave the name of the product. Please Moderators or Administrators check with Rich or search the past ATOH shows. I would dearly love to get one or more of these devices. The low flow unit I installed works fine, but the low bowl level presents, shall we say, different problems.

EDIT: Found what I was looking for here (add "h t t p : / / w w w ." w/o spaces to addresses below yourself):

thisoldhouse.com/toh/tv/ask-toh/products-and-services/category/0,,4559,00.html

Then here:

gomjsi.com/products/overview/hydroclean_hc630

The web site has improved a lot since I last visited. Or, maybe I've gotten smarter on how to navigate it.
    Last edited by OldGuy; 04-30-2013 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Found what I was looking for.

The water level in the bowl cannot be raised. Think of a toilet as a trap. The water in the bowl is the same as the water in the bowl of a trap. You can only fill the trap until the water reaches the height of the opening on the discharge side.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    The water level in the bowl cannot be raised. Think of a toilet as a trap. The water in the bowl is the same as the water in the bowl of a trap. You can only fill the trap until the water reaches the height of the opening on the discharge side.
    That is fundamentally true, however, if the level in the tank is set too low, the level in the bowl may drop as well as the toilet fill will stop before the bowl is full. But the bowl can only fill up to the top of the trap, no more.

I had the same problem with one toilet. I really didn't pay much attention to it for quite a few years. Then we did a major remodel and found that when they built the house they broke the toilet flange. Instead of fixing it right, they bought a mobile home style flange, chiseled off the existing flange, stuck the mobile home flange into the existing pipe and poured glue around the joint.
    My remodeler tells me that the toilet had been sucking air from the makeshift repair which didn't let the bowl water level rise to specs. He also said the toilet could have tipped over at any time. He replaced the entire pipe from the basement to the toilet and now the water level is fine.