+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Composting

Smile Composting

I am planning on setting up a composting bin around the house. Have the site selected and I will start to make sure the grown is level in a few weeks if we do not get any more snow.

One questions, I a planning on using a stanard compost bin like the Soil Circle Compost Bin, just a circular tube made of plastic with aration on the side adn the top. My question is this. If I added a batch of red worms to the bin would they help the composting process and would they also survive in the heat generated as a result of the normal composting process?

Mike

Default Re: Composting

I don't know if it would help, but it won't hurt, although I wouldn't bother. My compost pile seems to have plenty of worms when the weather is right. Too hot and dry or cold and they go away or down deep. If the don't like the heat of the compost, they will leave or become part of the compost. If I need worms for fishing, the compost pile is the first place I check.

Default Re: Composting

I've have bins similar to that have lasted for close to 20 years. They work very well. I recommend you get at least two, more if you produce much for compostable green waste. Once a bin is full, you set it aside and turn it weekly or bimonthly through the summer. The more aeration it gets, the faster it's going to decompose. While it's not necessary to keep it covered in the rain/snow, it's not a bad idea so that it doesn't turn into a bin of mud, particularly if it's getting to the point of being usable or if you're going to screen it.

As to the worms, yes worms will help break down the material, but there's no need to add them, they'll find their way in as the heap is made and does it's thing. Worms will not stay in the bin once it's been transformed, so buying them is a waste of time and money.

Last tip: Keep the bin on bare ground, this way it will allow the worms to migrate in as well as allow microbes in.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!