+ Reply to Thread

Question New Windows making bedroom too stuffy -- Need Help!

In October 2008, my mother and I hired a contractor to replace our old single pane windows with new double pane windows. Since the evening the new windows were installed, I've had extreme difficulty falling and staying asleep when the outside temperature is between 40-60 degrees. These are the average temps at night in my region in the Fall and Spring. I never had any trouble sleeping in these temps when the old windows were kept closed. But now that we have these thick air-tight windows, the room is too stuffy and uncomfortable to fall asleep with them closed.

Everyone is telling me to "Open the windows for ventilation!" But I wake up congested if I open them even a crack when it's less than 60 degrees outside. So this is not an option. I'm afraid to turn up the furnace as we generally keep it on 69 degrees and that was a comfortable indoor temperature with the old windows. Last fall I also tried running in my bedroom a cool-mist humidifer and a stationary fan, but both had me waking up congested. Lastly, I have tried running the whole-house fan that's connected with our new furnace. When I run this fan and close the vent almost entirely, it helps me sleep and not be as congested. But it's still not as great as when I had the single pane windows. I want my normal sleep and health back!

Is there any way to make my bedroom better ventilated without blowing cold air or opening windows, both of which make me congested? I haven't tried a warm-mist humidifier, as I'm afraid anything "warm" will make the room even more stuffy. I would pay ANYTHING to be able to sleep comfortably again AND not wake up congested, both as the same time! Please help!!

Thank you.
    Dave in Pittsburgh, PA

Default Re: New Windows making bedroom too stuffy -- Need Help!

if you have a forced air heating system you can try having a humidifier installed on the main trunk to deliver some moisture to the house. my understanding of the whole house fan is that if you're using it, all or some of the windows are supposed to be open to pull fresh outside air into the house. how about one of those air cleaners, ionizers i think they're called. i don't know anything about them but my father has one and swears by it. i don't know what they do regarding "stuffiness" in a house though. this is a toughie, never heard of anyone disappointed with upgrading from single pane windows to insulated glass ones.

Is the room stuffy because of lack of ventilation or just overheated? I would try setting back the thermostat. I set mine to 65 at night because I like it cooler when I sleep. A programmable t-stat makes it especially easy to set back the temp.
    Leave the door to the bedroom open.

Thanks for the replies. I definitely prefer the room cooler when I sleep, which is why I miss the old single pane windows. I didn't need to run any fans to keep the room cool as the windows did the job just fine. Now I'm stuck with these new windows which are keeping all the outside coolness from leaking in.

Last fall when the problems started, the furnace wasn't even turned on. So I don't think overheating the room is the problem. When we first turned the furnace on for the season, I lowered the thermostat to around 66 and gradually raised it up to 69 where it was at all winter. I had NO problems whatsoever with comfort or sleep throughout the entire cold winter when the outside temp was usually 20 degrees or lower. The furnace ran constantly and I was fine. But now with the warmer nights approaching, I'll need to turn the furnace fan on in order to get any ventilation in my bedroom.

I'm not sure if my furnace (which is new, installed last year) has a humidifier on it. There is a hose attached to it and water runs through it and out a drain. I wonder if this is pulling moisture OUT of the air instead of into the air?

Quote Originally Posted by ed21 View Post
    Is the room stuffy because of lack of ventilation or just overheated? I would try setting back the thermostat. I set mine to 65 at night because I like it cooler when I sleep. A programmable t-stat makes it especially easy to set back the temp.
    Leave the door to the bedroom open.
    Last edited by DK35; 03-20-2009 at 12:35 PM.

the hose is probably for the condensation pan for the AC.

Quote Originally Posted by DK35 View Post
    I'm not sure if my furnace (which is new, installed last year) has a humidifier on it. There is a hose attached to it and water runs through it and out a drain. I wonder if this is pulling moisture OUT of the air instead of into the air?
    You probably have a high efficiency furnace and the water dripping is condensate from the fuel you are burning, not from the house air. Most HE furnaces use outside air for combustion.

Because of the new windows and the rising outdoor temps, your new, more efficient furnace will run less and thus you will have to use the furnace fan, ceiling fans or portable fans to keep the air moving if you think the stale air is your problem. Try measuring the true temp of your bedroom to see how it compares to the temp where the thermostat is located. Check the furnace filter more often and replace as needed. Hope that helps.