+ Reply to Thread

Default Muriatic Acid on cement block foundation

We live in a a 1950 Cape Cod that has the foundation block painted white, and it is in desperate need of re-painting. However, it needs some TLC to remove mildew etc.

Can someone give some advice on using Muriatic Acid to remove? I am looking for tips, tricks, things to avoid etc.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    Jim

Alfetta159 Guest

Default Re: Muriatic Acid on cement block foundation

Be careful with muriatic acid as it will etch concrete as well as you. You don't want to lose the smooth surface of the contrete/ mortar.

You might want to start with a bleach solution. That is often how moss if killed on hardscape. But runoff does kill your plants too.

You might see what your paint supplier suggests. For example, you can get pre-treaters for outdoor deck/fence staining. So see if they can help you preping concrete.

I think I'd try a pressure washer first. If it has a siphon attachment add a little cleaning solution like Lime Away. Don't use bleach as it will destroy more than you want.

Muriatic Acid... YUCK - Try Napier Envirnomental's Removall 120 - Concrete Etch. Completely safe and not harmful to the environment... definately a better alternative!!

Michele in Vancouver

Default Great!

Quote Originally Posted by simonpsu View Post
    We live in a a 1950 Cape Cod that has the foundation block painted white, and it is in desperate need of re-painting. However, it needs some TLC to remove mildew etc.

Can someone give some advice on using Muriatic Acid to remove? I am looking for tips, tricks, things to avoid etc.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    Jim
    Here is a good one for work at home programs and whitehat internet marketing tools ; bonus gift free website and money makers at: ChaseTheGlow . Com

You state you are concerned with mildew. I disagree with one of the above posts, in that a mild bleach solution is just what is needed to remove mildew. Muriatic acid may be used if there is severe leaching of efforvescents which are alkaline and will be nutralized by the acid.

Healthy, informed disagreement is good. I still think that a 15% solution of clorine bleach will do the job better.

isn't muriatic acid another name for hydrochloric acid? hehe that's the stuff the mafia puts bodies in bathtubs in (I don't know from personal experience).. in any case, it sounds like really dangerous stuff

hi everyone btw, I'm new
    Fishfool @ The Reef Tank
    Last edited by miscreant; 06-17-2008 at 02:19 PM.