+ Reply to Thread

Default leaking drain pipes PVC & sink copper supply pipes

Sorry for saying my pipes where PVC, it turns out they are the cheap Wal-Mart/Home Depot regular plastic pipe drains. I have tried to use pipe tape on the threads (manufacture said do not use tape on these threads because this breaks the seal only a special type of sealant). I was wondering what is the best plastic material to use; and the proper way of angling the pipe so it drains properly? These are great lessons for me to learn because I chose to go into the field but seems to me I may be learning the hard
    way.
    Last edited by Mark Beveridge; 04-15-2011 at 01:44 PM.

Default Re: leaking drain pipes PVC & sink copper supply pipes

Generally you can't over tighten a compression fitting where there is the additional brass ring that gets compressed. You can do it however. usually the problems come from spinning the valve during installation. Did you use teflon tape or goo for these joints?

For the PVC are these hand tightened or glue together?

When it comes to a compression angle stop: 1. the pipe has to be clean. 2. the compression ring in good condition. 3. you must use two wrenches, preferably large wrenches. 4. tighten as tight as you can - it should stop the leak. If not, try a different type of angle stop (sweat or threaded).
    Regarding the drain, more info is needed.

did you put stop on hard or soft copper. you can tighten to much on soft copper. Just put it on snug tighten another 2 rounds with wrench and if it still leaks tighten a little at a time until it stops. PVC it shouldnt leak if cuts were straight glued and seated well.