+ Reply to Thread

Default electrical to plumbing ground

What is the best way to tie in a ground from electrical to copper plumbing? nearest pipe to service panel is 30 ft. Also what size wire should I use or is it alright to use grounds at outlets to add a wire to plumbing?

Default Re: electrical to plumbing ground

i'm not an electrician but your service is already grounded or you wouldn't have any service at all. bt to answer your question and i think i'm correct, you have to run an 8 guage wire from the panel the 30' to where your water meter is and attach it to both sides of the water meter.

House svc is grounded thru rod if contractor didn't cut it off short, but getting bimetal corrosion on ice maker and hot water heater.

the metal water piping systems installed in or attached to a building or structure shall be bonded to the service equipment enclosure, the grounded conductor at the service, the grounding electrode conductor where of sufficient size, or to the one or more grounding electrodes used. <- 250.104(a)(1) basically you want to bond your water pipes at the closest point to one of these, your panel or your ground rod. to get a good ground if there is any fittings you should use a bonding jumper around fittings on the water pipe as far as size you are not required to use a 6AWG copper wire. and for a little trick if you are going to get this inspected. use a little sand paper to get the pipe shiny where you bond your wire to. inspectors usually like this. good luck buddy and be safe

i used 4 awg to my COLD water line by my water meter.

I believe if you use a 4 awg bare, you do not have to protect the wire (i dont have my code book at home to verify its 4 nota 6) by not protecting it you can simply staple it up or run it though holes, no conduit needed. You will want to run the wire close to the entrance of the water line, and then jumper the meter to bond both sides.

You must BOND from the main electrical panel neutral bar or your ground rod(s) to a cold water pipe, if it's metal, with at least #6 copper wire.

There also needs to be a GROUND wire (#6 copper (min.) from your main power panel neutral bar (the one with all the white wires) to the ground rod(s).

Also, you must jumper across your water heater from the cold pipe to the hot side, if the pipes are metal, using listed electrical clamps and the same #6 copper wire. If your water meter is in your house you must jumper across it also, same way.

If you need to ground an outlet that doesn't already have a ground it's OK to run a #12 to a cold water pipe that's already grounded or bonded, as mentioned above.

Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, thesemi-retiredelectrician.com

Quote Originally Posted by MLBSF View Post
    i'm not an electrician but your service is already grounded or you wouldn't have any service at all. bt to answer your question and i think i'm correct, you have to run an 8 guage wire from the panel the 30' to where your water meter is and attach it to both sides of the water meter.
    WTH?
    Quote Originally Posted by PappyOA View Post
    House svc is grounded thru rod if contractor didn't cut it off short, but getting bimetal corrosion on ice maker and hot water heater.
    HUH?
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgeking View Post
    the metal water piping systems installed in or attached to a building or structure shall be bonded to the service equipment enclosure, the grounded conductor at the service, the grounding electrode conductor where of sufficient size, or to the one or more grounding electrodes used. <- 250.104(a)(1) basically you want to bond your water pipes at the closest point to one of these, your panel or your ground rod. to get a good ground if there is any fittings you should use a bonding jumper around fittings on the water pipe as far as size you are not required to use a 6AWG copper wire. and for a little trick if you are going to get this inspected. use a little sand paper to get the pipe shiny where you bond your wire to. inspectors usually like this. good luck buddy and be safe
    Your grounding electodes would be ALL OF THE FOLLOWING PRESENT
    Metal water pipe system WITHIN 5 FEET OF WHERE IT ENTERS THE HOME (metal underground water pipe in direct contact with the earth for 10 feet)
    metal frame of building or structure
    concrete encased electrode
    ground ring
    rod/pipe electrode
    other listed electrodes
    plate electrodes
    other local metal underground systems including well casings

All of these should be bonded together to form the Grounding electrode system.
    The water pipe system should be continuously bonded together by means of jumper at water meter, water heater, and / or water filter to be made electrically continuous

The Grounding electrode system should be connected to the service at any metal non current carrying part of the equipment forming the service. The MGS neutral should be bonded to the GEC and the EGC at the service disconnect.
    Help us name our new Hidden Content