+ Reply to Thread

Default antique kitchen sink

We are remodeling our kitchen and would like to use an old cast iron sink that is 5 ft long with drainboards on both sides, the sink will be incorporated into the countertop with the counter butting up against the sides of the sink, however th dishwasher will be partially under the drainboard. our designer doesn't think this will work. any suggestions, we really want to use this sink and I'm not willing to give up the dishwasher. Thanks, Lynn

Default Re: antique kitchen sink

I don't see why it won't work. The dish washer just slides in under the counter haveing the opening covered by two different materials shouldn't make any difference. Unless your designer is talking about aesthetics.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks Jack!

Typically, the dishwasher is fastened to the underside of the countertop by means of two metal tabs fastened with screws. These tabs are visible when you open the door; look up at the underside of the countertop and you'll see them.

Without being properly fastened, the dishwasher is unstable and can tip forward when the door is opened.

You may find that you have to be creative in order to properly secure the dishwasher under the metal sink unit. Also, consider that you'll have to have a cupboard or panel on the sink side of the dishwasher, as undercounter dishwashers don't have their own cabinets.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Thanks for your input, Lynn