+ Reply to Thread

Question Difference in quality big-box stores vs plumbing supply

Hi there -

I am looking to buy a new kitchen faucet, have looked at both a nice plumbing supply place that serves the public as well as the trade, and the big box stores. For what appeared to be the same thing, prices were quite different.

However, I noticed that the bottom plate on the sink faucets seemed all to be made of plastic. I have to have one because I am reusing an old sink and it will surely have marks from the old taps. Plastic!

I also need to replace the lovely old plumbing in the tub/shower with new stuff, can't afford the $650 reproduction two-tap style. But I want to make certain that there is a good price/quality/design balance.

So, will I get something that is truly better if I spend more money at the plumbing supply place, even for the same model as is available at the big box home improvement place? I want metal for one thing!

Thank you
    TT

Default Re: Difference in quality big-box stores vs plumbing supply

Brand for brand they are about the same. Kitchen and lav faucets in the big box stores don't have the nuts that connect the supplies to the faucets the plumbing supply faucet has them. You may also find in lav faucets that the drain assembly in the big box store faucet is made of plastic and the one in the plumbing supply is not. One thing to be aware of is to stay with name brand faucets. You will always be able to find parts for them. If you use Delta (the one I prefer by far) any parts needed are shipped to you free of charge for life by calling there 800#

John

Thank you very much!
    TT

from what ive seen with my experience the plumbing supplies usually get the better quality products. big box stores get the higher volume versions where product quality can diminish

as for specific brands. dont buy "american standard" very cheap and poor quality. i use to see quite a bit of this brand when i was trimming lower end apartment buildings.. in 6 months to a year the plumber is back replacing fixtures of that brand
    fire up the saw and make some dust

What I've found *if* you find the same model # of a fixture at a plumbing supplier as a home center they will be exactly the same product. However, usually the model # found at the suppier will be slightly different to reflect the small differences that John mentioned earlier.
    Also , I agree with staying with name brand products.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Thank you very much for your reply as well. In general, I would endeavour to support the local merchants regardless.

But in light of my recent plumbing debacle outlined in another post, I am pinching pennies. Principles vs wallet if indeed the products are the same. If they aren't the same: my philosophy is do it once, do it right, spend the money.

My plumber did indeed name Delta and Moen for his fixtures of choice, the availability of parts being one of the reasons. So at least that narrows the options. And thank goodness because I had already purchased another brand half-price, but decided it was too fancy for my kitchen and am returning it. Since two of you have recommended Delta, I will narrow my search there.

Perhaps I will go back to the plumbing supply place and have a closer look. I'll buy my shower fixture from them even if I scrimp on the kitchen faucet and go to the big box.

Thank you!
    TT

Quote Originally Posted by tef1964 View Post
    Thank you very much for your reply as well. In general, I would endeavour to support the local merchants regardless.

But in light of my recent plumbing debacle outlined in another post, I am pinching pennies. Principles vs wallet if indeed the products are the same. If they aren't the same: my philosophy is do it once, do it right, spend the money.

My plumber did indeed name Delta and Moen for his fixtures of choice, the availability of parts being one of the reasons. So at least that narrows the options. And thank goodness because I had already purchased another brand half-price, but decided it was too fancy for my kitchen and am returning it. Since two of you have recommended Delta, I will narrow my search there.

Perhaps I will go back to the plumbing supply place and have a closer look. I'll buy my shower fixture from them even if I scrimp on the kitchen faucet and go to the big box.

Thank you!
    TT
    Well put and great philosophy
    - Rush

Default There is a difference

Most of the faucets that sell in the big box do not have the same quality of cartridge assembly. Ask to see the cartridge in the faucet. They make look alike but are not constructed of the same material. Same goes for hoses. There are small differences throught that unless your in the trade and handle them everyday you wouldn't know.

If they are the same model number they will be exactly the same product --- whether it's at a plumbing supplier or the home centers. More often than not you usually don't see the exact same model at a supplier since they don't or can't compete with a large homecenter. Like anything, there will be different quality models throughout a manufacturers product line.
    At least that's what I find.
    - Rush

For me, faucets are very disposable, and I change a lot of them.
    Faucet makers are in the business to max profits, so they will not sell you a thing that will last forever. Some makers will give you "lifetime" warranty on certain parts, but never on labor, making a repair uneconomical. I will always take a new faucet over a reconditioned one with water stains, rust, minerals and corroded connectors.
    Therefore, choose a fixture for the way it looks, price or the brand and enjoy it for as long as it lasts.