+ Reply to Thread

Default Peeling wall paint

I have an interior bedroom wall that is not holding paint. I did have condensation on the wall from ice dams in the past, which stopped when I had the roof replaced. I patched the drywall after that, but the paint continues to peel. I have had two people check it out who supposedly did drywall work, they patched, primed & painted--still peeling! I suspect water damage to the sheetrock; who would be able to remedy this problem?
    Last edited by Kazoogirl; 03-28-2011 at 06:58 PM.

Default Re: Peeling wall paint

if you are 100% sure the source of the water has been fixed, then the moisture is coming from the humidity inside the house.

My suggestion;

1-Sand/scr ape the old stuff off to get to good drywall.
    2- Primer with a good quality oil based primer such as Kilz or Zinser. Yes I said oil based. Don't worry, you can paint over these with latex top costs.
    3- Paint with a latex top coat.

The trick is a good primer and a good surface to primer over.

The moisture issue had been resolved, and none was evident before it was patched the last time; it was done as you described, with Zinsser primer. I did find out that there is not sufficient insulation at that end of my attic, so am adding more. Should I wait to patch it again until that is blown in?

Ice dams don't cause "condensation on the walls" they are liquid water pouring in from the roof above.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

If the moisture issues have been resolved, then a good primer and a good quality interior paint should solve the problem. If you're still having issues you might want to hire professional painters to get the job done.