+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation Low voltage transformer issue

Hello,
    I am hoping someone with some good knowledge of low voltage lighting can help me out. My basement lights (in the finished part) consist of four 50w halogens wired to a 250w (WAC) transformer. This system has yielded years of trouble-free service. A few months ago, one of the bulbs burned out and I (mistakenly) replaced it with a 35w bulb (so now we have three 50w bulbs and one 35w bulb being powered by the 250w transformer). This worked fine for a few months until recently. Now there is no light at all and no humming from the transformer when turned on. Question: did the one incorrect wattage (35) bulb cause the problem or was it just time for the transformer to give up the ghost?
    Thanks for your help.

Regards,
    Bob

Default Re: Low voltage transformer issue

Quote Originally Posted by VanGale View Post
    Hello,
    I am hoping someone with some good knowledge of low voltage lighting can help me out. My basement lights (in the finished part) consist of four 50w halogens wired to a 250w (WAC) transformer. This system has yielded years of trouble-free service. A few months ago, one of the bulbs burned out and I (mistakenly) replaced it with a 35w bulb (so now we have three 50w bulbs and one 35w bulb being powered by the 250w transformer). This worked fine for a few months until recently. Now there is no light at all and no humming from the transformer when turned on. Question: did the one incorrect wattage (35) bulb cause the problem or was it just time for the transformer to give up the ghost?
    Thanks for your help.

Regards,
    Bob
    4 x 50 watt = 200 watts
    A 250 watt transformer with 200 watts draw = 80% of capacity

3 x 50 = 150 watts plus 35 watts = 185 watts = 74% of capacity

Using the 35 watt bulb wouldn't cause any harm to the transformer . If anything it would have been helpful since it would have reduced the overall current draw through the transformer.

If there is no issue with 120volts supply to the transformer and there is no voltage output from the transformer ( providing there no blown inline fuse ) -- it was time the transformer gave up the ghost.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I would say that a 35 w bulb would do nothing to harm the transformer, it would actually run cooler. Asuming you have power to it i would say that time and heat has gotten to it and it is time to replace it. GOOD LUCK AND BE SAFE

Thanks Edgeking & Canuk! I am glad to hear that this was not caused by my ignorance!

Cheers,
    Bob