+ Reply to Thread

Default replace electric wires

i replaced my electric range with a gas range. i want to replace the 50 amp breaker with two 20 amp breakers so i can install a garbage disposal and plug outlet. do i need to run new wires or can i use the ones from the 50 amp breaker?
    Last edited by de19971; 03-19-2009 at 08:29 PM. Reason: spelling

Default Re: replace electric wires

When dealing with electricity, the best advice I can give is to hire an electrician. If something isn't wired properly, you can burn down your house or worse, kill yourself.

Probaly not. I don't believe you can hook up a GFCI (required in kitchen) in a circuit with shared common.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

i believe that technically you can use a wire rated for 50 amps on anything lower than that, sort of like how you can use a 12/2 wire on a 15 amp breaker but you can't use a 14/2 wire on a 20 amp breaker. however, the wire from the electric range would never be able to fit into the box let alone attach it to an outlet. the correct wire to use for a 20 amp circuit is 12/2, so why not stick with what's right, that's how i'd do it.

If it's possible to run a new wire from the electrical panel, do it. A future homeowner may want to put an electric range there, and if you go and modify it they won't have that option.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.