+ Reply to Thread

Red face Re-siding and insulating 1929 home...Help!

My husband and I bought a 1929 home a couple of years ago. Last year we replaced 12 old windows. This year we are planning to re-side with fiber cement, and I'm wondering what we should do about insulation in the process. I know that there is no insulation in the crawlspace/attic, so this is on our list, but there seems to be a lot of back and forth about what to do with old homes in terms of exterior wall-insullation. I doubt that there is much, if anything, in the walls.

We live in Westchester, NY, so this means frigid winters, hot, humid summers, and crazy heating and cooling costs...

I know nothing about these things, so it's hard to sort out fact from fiction with all of the internet links these days.

I feel as though we should at least do SOMEthing while the siding is replaced. (Obviously the house will be wrapped before the fiber cement goes up.) I just have no idea of what to ask for/look for, that will be the right choice to prevent future issues...

Thoughts???

Any help would be much appreciated!

Default Re: Re-siding and insulating 1929 home...Help!

the best thing to do which requires the least mess and pulling things apart is blown in cellulose. you can have your contractor completly strip the exterior of the house first right down to the old tar paper, then bring in a insulating company to drill holes in the outside of hte walls then start insulating. from there install 1" rigid foam over the entire outside after that your off to the races with siding prep and harti plank
    fire up the saw and make some dust

What is the difference between cellulose and icynene? (benefits/drawbacks)

cellulose is shredded up and treated old newspapers, icynene is a spray foam that uses water as its propellant.

cellulose- only needs a 2 holes at 2-1/2" diamter drilled in each stud cavity, 1/3 the cost of icynene

icynene- needs the entire stud cavity exposed unless "poured" foam is available, far higher r-value per inch. most expensive form of insulation.

this time last year i was apart of building a 4000 sq ft commercial building. we originally had the entire attic quoted for spray foam insulation, then switched to only doing a 1" layer of foam on top of the ceiling drywall then doing the rest with spray foam. by switching to the combination of both as opposed to just spray foam it was a saving of $12,000
    fire up the saw and make some dust