+ Reply to Thread

Default should I get my brick house power washed?

My 114-year-old row house needs to be repointed. I'm considering having it washed at the same time, but am afraid of damage being done to the brick. The contractors I've spoken with say they would use a low pressure on the washer, but, still, houses I've seen that have been washed all have a sort of soft, irregular look to the brick. The brick on my house is very smooth, with very crisp, sharp edges and I'm afraid of losing that look.
    While clean brick would be nice, I don't think it's really necessary. Any thoughts/insight on caring for old brick houses?

Default Re: should I get my brick house power washed?

I have read that it is best to wet the entire face of the brick with a hose prior to pressure washing.

Then to start at the bottom and work your way up and then back down with the pressure washer.

Do this before the pointing work. Low pressure and avoid positioning the nozzle 90 degrees to the face of the brick.

If your worried about the edges, have the contractor do a small test area out of site.
    Can correctly identify Shinola 3 out of 5 times*

*Under ideal conditions

Default Re: should I get my brick house power washed?

I need to get the house pointed because mortar is missing and water is coming through sometimes during a heavy, windy rain. Won't pressure washing before pointing just make more water come through?