+ Reply to Thread

Thread: tile vs wood

Hybrid View

Default tile vs wood

We are considering tile and wood for kitchen countertops in 1918 foursquare. Love the look of tile and read that older tile was made so it could be set more easily into counter and w/very little grout line so easier to clean than newer stuff. Anyone know if it's possible to buy such tile? I see some historic tile places, but not sure if it's just meant to look like older tile, but not have some of the benefits of setting the older tile. Also considering wood countertop. Anyone have experience w/durability of wood countertop over time? We are not neat freaks and have 2 kids, so looking for reasonably priced, more historically accurate, but still easy to care for counters. So far, it seems nothing really fits that bill!

Default Re: tile vs wood

Before formica and similar laminates, tile counter tops ruled the world for the cleanliness factor over wood. There are special requirements for tiling a counter top. You'll find a ton of information along with speedy responses from many talented professionals over at the John Bridge Tile forum. You can get help with tile selection as well as installation specifications. Some of the guys on the forum have been around quite a while and may have installed your counter the first time.

We've had Oak counter top for nearly 25 years. Of course there is just the two of us at home, the kids have long gone. It still looks great but a few of cautions, 1] you shouldn't cut on wood counter tops, 2] never put hot pans on a wood counter top, 3] clean up water immediately, and 4] they need to be finished on all sides including the edges of sink cutout.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks. I'll check out the tile forum. And, I do think wood is also an option for us because we've always had laminate countertops, even growing up, so we've never thought we could set hot pans down on the counter, and have never cut directly on the counters.

Meant to ask about your walnut countertop, do you also have wood around the sink area? I've seen pictures of such counters, but doesn't seem especially practical. also, what did you finish your wood with?

I'm guessing you are asking about my Oak counter-top. Yes, the sink is set in the oak counter-top. My wife wanted a cabinet the emulated and antique wash stand that we owned so I built the one pictured below.

The one on the left disguises the washing machine.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by hadleymountain View Post
    We are considering tile and wood for kitchen countertops in 1918 foursquare. Love the look of tile and read that older tile was made so it could be set more easily into counter and w/very little grout line so easier to clean than newer stuff. Anyone know if it's possible to buy such tile?
    Search for rectified tile. I think that's what you're thinking of.